Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

K&N intake filter or stock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N intake filter or stock?

My 850 is non-turbo, runs nice and though I don't race it I run it up to 5k occasionally in first and second gears. I haven't timed it through the quarter mile. I can feel it really start to pull around 3k and climbs steadily beyond that, like the cam is coming on line. I plan to change the intake filter soon. Is the K&N worth a little modding? Will it clean the air as well as the big box filter? So will there be any performance difference or downside?
Thanks!
Jim

Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no experience with K&N but everyone else agrees the the gains are very minimal if any..also you have to clean and oil the K&N filter every so often, so if it was me id stay stock.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put on a K&N box filter and modded the intake a little bit to allow more air to enter the intake and I felt a difference. I can feel it take off a little bit quicker and it's a little peppier. Now when I put my new exhaust on so all this extra air has somewhere to go, then I'll find out how big of a difference the filters make.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 PM

I did not see much performance gain, but MPG got 2-3 more.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I installed the box filter in place of the paper one. While at the auto parts store, they had a K & N filter display that shows the better airflow with the K & N vs the paper type. When I switched to the K & N side of the display, I had to block about 1/2 of the filter surface to get the airflow to match. I was pretty impressed with that so I did get one.

Cost me about $45 but I figure it will pay for itself in about 2 or 3 years. It is suppose to be cleaned and re-oiled every 50k and I will likely do it at that or a little sooner.

I wish they had one for the cabin filter but I guess I really don't want to be smelling that oil that is used to re-oil the filter.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok anyone that posted and drives a turbo model is kind of out of place here. As this person has a N/A (Non-turbo).

I had a 1995 850 N/A and I had put a K&N panel filter in the airbox. This is what I noticed. Slightly more throttle response, but basically no changes at all. Also when you do clean it and re-oil it, don't over oil it as it could mess up your MAF. The possible gains from this panel filter are 2-5 Hp if that. So don't expect much if anything.

You might see MPG increases, but nothing major 1-3 if that.

Trying to do performance on an N/A is crazy as I tried and it just wasn't worth it in the end. If you only want to maintain the car just stick with the paper filter.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 AM

Thanks, SuperMod:
You answered two questions—one that I'd been thinking about but never really asked. Is it worth trying to supe up an N/A? Now I know, which is o.k. One comment I will make on that though, is I did notice a performance difference when I changed the oil to Amsoil from whatever the black stuff was in there (got the car in November). That 3 grand "hit" is like I remember my brother's 289 hyper 'stang when the secondaries cut in and the cam started to do its work. Pretty good spirit in both.
JimBee

Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo or not, using the K&N filter will still allow the air to flow in better and faster than the paper ones, either way, your right, you won't see huge gains, maybe a little better throttle response.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 PM

There is also the cost of replacing the stock standard air filter. Here the best price I could get was $17.66 for a Fram p/n CA5436 and for $65 I can have a K&N kit. I did find one on line for $51 p/n 33-2670
I will change my filter 1x per year so in 3 years i have a free filter.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by JimBee
My 850 is non-turbo
I'm going to disagree with everyone telling you to get the K&N.

Since your 850 is not a turbo, I would recommend a replaceable paper filter. The cost for a paper filter is $13 from FCP Gordon:

Volvo 850 Engine Filters Parts | FCP Euro

Save your money and get a paper filter. Google is your friend

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an NA, so here are my thoughts. I wouldn't put one in my car. I don't like the price but moreover I do not like the maintenance. With things like this everyone will have different thoughts as well as perceived gains. Some may be provable such as an extra couple of MPG and some may be perceived gains in HP. May be legit or just the placebo effect. Bottom line is no one is paying for a dyno over a $50 filter in and of itself. So here are my thoughts on the filter itself. As BOB experienced at his FLAPS the filter had greater airflow. Now it probably does. (albeit that filter was undoubtedly un-oiled) That is essentially the marketing podium of KN. (More airflow more HP and MPGs. My thoughts on that are many fold. It may flow better than a paper filter, but that means other things (aka dirt and dust) will be more likely to flow through it as well. This is where the oil comes. KN knows without it, that **** is gonna pass right through the filter. The oil acts as an adhesive to grab it before it can pass. (**** that your paper filter would just catch on it's own) Next you have to consider the velocity of the air that passes through the OEM paper filter. Is it so great that it's being restricted? Of course not. My point being, you could hammer a screen door in there, and the amount of air coming out the other side is going to be negligible, since the paper filter really isn't whats restricting it. If what your looking for is an air mod for your NA. Than for the same price you could install an airbox off of a 850 Turbo and a throttle plate off of a 960 and get better results for the same price. Just my .03 Take'm for what they're worth. And keep in mind my 850 lives in the desert. What a PITA that would be to have to constantly clean that filter

Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 PM

I've always been told that while the K&N is more 'free flowing', it also lets more crap through.

Replaceable paper filters for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a K&N on my bike, my supercharged Thunderbird, my stock rusty 350 chevy pick-up and plan to install them in my two town cars.

On both the Thunderbird and Town Cars the improvement is noticeable from everything you can read from OWNERS. With the Thunderbird one of the car mags was doing a low cost mods and what you can gain and did do a dyno run just for the stock K&N flat panel replacement in the Bird's stock air box.

"After replacing the stock filter with the K&N, the power jumped from 192 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque to an even 200 hp and 287 lb-ft."
That's 8 HP and 22 lb-ft of added torque for 55-65 bucks and although you have to clean it every 12-20K miles depending on driving conditions, each time you do you've also saved 13-19 bucks from throwing away a paper filter. It's a simple drop in exchange, no modifications to your air box.

For my Volvo I'm still running paper because I want a metal NACA scoop above where the stock box is now venting into a box with a large K&N cone and Snaab intake tube.
(NACA, like the ones on the hood of a 70's Mach 1 Mustang.)

Will I get 8 hp ???? will I get 22 torque ????? Don't know but K&N does do dyno runs and they do publish what a stock engine will benefit from if their filter is installed.

From my practical experience in the pickup, it's stock, I drive normal, gas mileage IF it changed it didn't change enough to be noticed.

If you're looking for more power the K&N is something to look at.
If you're hanging on to the car for a number of years the K&N is something to look at to save on air filters over the years.
(Buy yours when they have a sale on them. Buy the filter, get a cleaning kit free or just say you'll buy one if they toss in the kit. Check the K&N web site for a coupon too.)
If you buy a K&N, keep the paper filter. When you pull the K&N out to clean it you can toss the paper one in for the day or two it takes. Clean, let dry overnight, re-oil, let sit, check for even oiling, possible touch up missed spots & let sit and re-install.

If you think cleaning a filter is a pain or the gain isn't worth the trouble, keep the paper !!

This is a photo of my SC's intake and K&N I built.

Attached Thumbnails K&N intake filter or stock?-95-sc-modded-intake.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 06-16-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 PM

Wow, a fellow 95 SC owner.. here's mine!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh no , , , it's a trend !! Pearl White.

Attached Thumbnails K&N intake filter or stock?-tbird-front-left.jpg