Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking oil

I have a 95 850 turbo, I know that theengine oil is leaking out of the hose that goes to the rad, i think this is the intercooler hose. I have it fixed earlier this week and it was not done very well. The came off on Thursday, (3 days ago) and I had the car towed and fixed. The same shop did the work, so I got it checked out by a different mechanic and he say it was ok and that it was not leaking from that those hose and that it would take afew daysfor all the oil that was spilled in the engine to drain out. Because it happened when I was driving it ended up every where and the underbody and engine has since been cleaned. I have been ausred that the engine and turbo are fine and I think that this is true. The probable I am having is that the car still dripping oil off the drip plate under the hose that go to the rad, would it be normal for it to stil drip there, or would I still have the same leak. I am also wondering the oil leak was misdiagnosed althought I can still see oil on the same hoses, but it looks old and dirty and kind of dired on. I can put pictures up if this would help diagnose the problem.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: leaking oil

Find a local Do it yours self car wash and use engine cleaner and clean the area by the radiator and area. Then recheck.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, when I am spraying the area in the engine is there anything that I should be careful not to spray, or any hose that could come off with the pressure washer? I was thinking of doing this but do not want to do any damage to the engine attemting to clean it.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 PM

Throught the whole ordeal of the car loosing all the oil, I have seed to loose the plastic hose to the turbo, I didn't notice it was missing until I looked under my brothers hood saw he had one more hose from the rad. I think the turbo is still getting air but I would also like to know how this would affect the car. I know it is a little slower right now and it not getting the same amount of air as it should be. I am going to get it put back on this week and was hoping it would not have an effect on the engine or turbo for the time being except a minor drop in prefomance.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you locate the leak? As to the plastic hose going to the turbocharger, I hope it was an air supply. Loss of oil is the worst thing that can happen to a turbocharger, and if this happens, you'll need to overhaul it.

The oil cooler lines are noted for leak. If minor, you can get by with adding oil once a while but it is still better to fix it if you can afford to. The oil cooler hoses are not cheap, though.

When you clean the engine (which you might have already done), make sure that the engine is not hot and avoid spraying around electrical devices (ignition systems, battery , alternator, ECU, etc...). I usually take a bottle of degreaser, spay it onto oily area, scrub with dish washing brush then spray water withsquirter then wipe dry with paper towel. I then air dry it for about 15 minutes.

Do provide us with pics if possible.

JPN

Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 PM

I did take it the car back to another mechanic because I needed engine mounts done and they check the leak without me asking and it is on the hose and told me it will be from 65-80 for each one. I also know that the hose that when missing is the hose to the air filter so it isn't that big a deal. Anyhow the car is driving much better with the new engine mounts.

Thankyou very much for your help

Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds about right on the cost for the hoses. That is in the ballpark of what it cost me about 2 years ago. As for the oil drips, follow Techs advice and spray it really well. You could even presoak the are aa bit with some cleaner before you spray it if you are so inclined