Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Major problem #2, oil pouring out from front passenger side!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major problem #2, oil pouring out from front passenger side!

Right behind the radiator, slightly passenger side, oil POURING and making a puddle. I never even left drop spots, now a sudden pour makes me think a hose went or something. But what oil lines are that area? Or what else could it be? Seems in front of the oil filter...
Help! ITS BLEEDING!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Major problem #2, oil pouring out from front passenger side!

The oil cooler lines run from the Radiator to the engine.

Does it look like it is leaking from the top and running down?

Old 12-03-2006, 01:10 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. Murphy,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

Before I start, please refer to my past post at:

https://volvoforums.com/m_46452/tm.htm

I recently repaired oil leak in the oil cooler line. The oil return hose is notorious for leaking, at the connection between the hose & metal section. If it's not leaking from the hose (doesn't sound like it), it may be failing O-rings or seals. At the radiator connection, the cooler lines use one O-ring and a seal. If you do not see leak from these connections, the O-rings & seals are ok.

The oil thermostat housing side is a bit tricky to work on, but inspecting it is easy. Jack up the front end and take the pax-side wheel off. Fold the fender inner liner to expose the oil thermostat area right next to the crank pulley. If you see leak from there, it is from either the oil cooler line or the thermostat housing seal.

If none of the above applies, then the turbo return line behind the engine block may have failing seal. This one is also easy to work on, but you have to jack up the front end.

Until you can get the leak fixed, buy 2-3 quarts of oil and keep adding & checking the oil level.

The worst news is that you may need one of the new oil cooler hoses (someone said the hose is $50, but I had to spend $90 on a genuine Volvo hose at FCP Groton). Or if you have time to let the car sit a few days, you may be able to apply plenty of high-temp, oil resistant liquid sealant around the leak on the hose, let it sit for a day or two until the sealant cures. It may fix the leak, if it's the hose.

Anyway, inspecting for the oil cooler line leak is easy, so clean up the exiting leak and see where the leak is coming from.

Waiting for your reply,

JPN

Old 12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the clips & O Rings for the lines to the oil cooler. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Old 12-06-2006, 03:44 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. Murphy,

Glad your trouble was minor. 850's have some spots that have tendency to leak fluids, but as long as you keep up with maintenance, most leaks are controllable at a reasonable cost.

As for the clip, new ones are considerably tighter than older ones, so you can put them without additional clamps. However, old clips can be used with regular screw type clips and work as good.

Happy Driving,

JPN