Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

No-Start problems should take highest priority

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No-Start problems should take highest priority

I've already started a thread about my 'no start' problem so I do not mean to repost. I just think this topic needs attention.

IMO 'no start' problems should be treated with highest priority on this forum (or any car forum for that matter). The reasons are twofold.

1. The forum will retain more members and sponsors will get more business by developing noobs into loyal customers who later go on to purchase expensive parts and mods because they have learned to understand (and trust) their cars... instead of having Volunteers of America tow away their non-starting Volvos and buying new Toyotas or Hondas with service plans.

2. It helps a brother out. Personally, I only live ten blocks from work so I can walk, ride a bike, or ride my scooter. All I really have to deal with are people at work who laugh at me and make comments like, "I thought Volvos always started." But other people on this forum actually *need* their old Volvos to live.

Anyway. My two cents. But it is good advice if I do say so myself. heh

Last edited by Squiggy; 11-06-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not that they're not important, it's that there's so many of them, that with some searching one could turn up lots of info and "no start" threads

Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
It's not that they're not important, it's that there's so many of them, that with some searching one could turn up lots of info and "no start" threads
Too many threads. So little time. Easier to buy a Toyota. Maybe all those threads could be grouped into one special 'No-Start' catagory with Stickys for 'try this 1st, then this 2nd, etc'.

We can look at this problem two ways. Either members are 'lazy' (by not searching until our eyes bleed) or an opportunity to create a vital and vibrant web site is not being capitalized upon. Personally, I am of the bent that the customer is always right. For example, I was getting ready to splurge on about $1,000 in 'fun' parts from FCPGroton but if I can't get my stupid car started I will have the bucket towed and will buy a 2001-2003 LS430 or a cherrry 1998-2000 LS400.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with squiggy on this no start problem. Just today there are 4 or 5 no start treads( no spark, no fuel, no power to injectors....) But all of us here are volunteers, including moderators, so we can't demand but suggest that somebody do tutorial on this subject. Nice suggestion Squiggy and hope you car starts soon

Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by blackbrick
I agree with squiggy on this no start problem. Just today there are 4 or 5 no start treads( no spark, no fuel, no power to injectors....) But all of us here are volunteers, including moderators, so we can't demand but suggest that somebody do tutorial on this subject. Nice suggestion Squiggy and hope you car starts soon
Someone agreed with me? Wow. lol. Thanks blackbrick.

I just have to highlight one small (but important) point. Not everyone here is here out the the kindness of their hearts. There are a few people trying to make money from selling us parts and trying to develop loyal customers. That is one reason why sites like this survive. I agree that there are a good many volunteers but... that's not the entire story. Don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against anyone selling parts or making a profit for their time and efforts. They deserve it. My no-start sticky thread suggestion is aimed at helping them too.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

So lets get to the problem

Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t know how the moderators of this board could make the “No Start” thread a priority on a public forum that is open to anyone to post anything at any time. They are volunteering they’re time here and my guess is this site probably runs mostly on auto-pilot.

Of course there are advertisers on here and I have no problem with that as my experience thus far has been those people are very well educated in what “typically” happens with these cars based on parts they are selling (perhaps even to people that don’t post or even read these forums) and in most cases personal experience!

I have read with great interest most of the “No Start” threads and have an idea as to why so many of them appear to sit unresolved; not starting can be caused by so many different things. Things as cheap and simple as the car is out of gas to as complex and expensive as the ECU blew up.

Three different scenarios: 1) Turn the key and nothing happens 2) Turn the key and the motor turns, will not run 3) Turn the key and the motor starts but will not stay running. All three would likely be posted on this board as “No Start”. All three can be caused by any number of things. If you don’t have access to various tools and test equipment (like a good multi-meter) or don’t share what you have found the people that do post can barely make a reasonable guess as to what is going on.

To illustrate my point here is a short list of some of the things that have caused my various cars to “not start”. Out of gas, water in the gas, bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay, bad coil, dead battery, battery with a bad cell (that one was fun, battery shows 12 volts until you crank), broken engine ground, bad idle air control, bad starter solenoid, bad neutral safety switch and finally bad mass air flow sensor. Only one of these has ever happened to my Volvo, any one of these or dozens of others could be your problem.

As long as the starter will turn the motor you only need air, fuel and spark to make it run. Figure out which your missing and then try to figure out why. Oh, and taking your car to a mechanic is always an option, I personally like that to be an option of last resort.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

POWER TO THE PEOPLE SUKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GREAT FEEDBACK...I HAVE BENEFITED A GREAT DEAL...I FEEL THAT THE OWNER OF THE SITE AND THE PARTICIPANTS HAVE BENEFITED 50% 50% SPLIT...

YES, THE "NO START" NEEDS MORE ATTENTION THAN...SHOULD I SPRINKLE MY VALVE COVER WITH SPARKLES?"...BUT THERE ARE TOO MANY QUESTIONS AND NOT ENOUGH SAVY VOLVO MODA F...

START A THREAD ENTITLED..."NO VOLVO LEFT BEHIND"...all who read it and post, I for one and all for one, will pay special attention to our brothers who have fallen to previous owner neglect and need immediate resurrection...

I MEAN IT GUYS....IT'S SOOOO FABULOUS DARLING....

Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhutchens
I don’t know how the moderators of this board could make the “No Start” thread a priority on a public forum that is open to anyone to post anything at any time. They are volunteering they’re time here and my guess is this site probably runs mostly on auto-pilot.

Of course there are advertisers on here and I have no problem with that as my experience thus far has been those people are very well educated in what “typically” happens with these cars based on parts they are selling (perhaps even to people that don’t post or even read these forums) and in most cases personal experience!

I have read with great interest most of the “No Start” threads and have an idea as to why so many of them appear to sit unresolved; not starting can be caused by so many different things. Things as cheap and simple as the car is out of gas to as complex and expensive as the ECU blew up.

Three different scenarios: 1) Turn the key and nothing happens 2) Turn the key and the motor turns, will not run 3) Turn the key and the motor starts but will not stay running. All three would likely be posted on this board as “No Start”. All three can be caused by any number of things. If you don’t have access to various tools and test equipment (like a good multi-meter) or don’t share what you have found the people that do post can barely make a reasonable guess as to what is going on.

To illustrate my point here is a short list of some of the things that have caused my various cars to “not start”. Out of gas, water in the gas, bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay, bad coil, dead battery, battery with a bad cell (that one was fun, battery shows 12 volts until you crank), broken engine ground, bad idle air control, bad starter solenoid, bad neutral safety switch and finally bad mass air flow sensor. Only one of these has ever happened to my Volvo, any one of these or dozens of others could be your problem.

As long as the starter will turn the motor you only need air, fuel and spark to make it run. Figure out which your missing and then try to figure out why. Oh, and taking your car to a mechanic is always an option, I personally like that to be an option of last resort.
Ditto what Mike said!!!

Why do some posts (especially no-start posts) sometime get little response? Here's why (IMO):
  1. Among the members who regularly post, relatively few have the technical background to actually help someone diagnose a no-start (again see Mike's post; you really need to know what you're doing; it seems to me too many people on this forum would rather guess at what the problem is than actually diagnose it..); two notable exceptions (from what I've seen) are Tech (of course) and JPN. Not to sell anyone else short; I am sure there are others here who know their stuff, but that's my cursory observation.
  2. Do you notice many of these no-starts are first time (and likely only time) posters? These are often folks who are not capable of changing their spark plugs, but expect someone on a forum to hold their hand and walk them through what can be a very complicated process. Too often what they really want to hear is "change this relay" or "replace that fuse" so they can impress their girlfriend with their prowess at fixing cars.
  3. I hate to say it, but some posts are ignored because the poster has made it painfully apparent that he is lacking the minimal communication skills necessary and/or mechanical skills to fix anything himself, let alone his Volvo.
BTW: Who is the customer around here? I don't know anyone that's getting paid for this gig...

So why do I sometimes hang around here? Because I own an 850, I learn a lot, and since I am an ex auto tech myself, I actually try to help a brother out, now and again...