Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

non starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non starter

Need some help please

I asked in another thread but hoping to expand the search. My '95 GLE had a little problem with pressure spitting oil out through the dipstick. Thought it might be PCV from reading around. However after sitting for two days, the car now won't start. Turns over but not really catching. I tried in the morning and nothing. Tried again around lunch when it was warmer and I finally got it going but it only lasted around 10 seconds. It was very rough sounding. When it died, the exhaust was very smokey and it smelled.

Any ideas of things to check and ways of checking? I'm new to volvo maintenance.

I did an oil change a few days prior. Once it stops raining, I'll check the oil level since I'm now paranoid I might have over-filled. Hoping that wouldn't have caused this though! It did run fine for a few days after. It was perfect when it was last parked.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked your compression? You may have burned a hole in a piston or lost your rings.
The smell may just be lots of fuel in the system not burned from the many start attempts.
If you have blow by on the rings or a hole in the piston your going to develop crank case pressure.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 PM

waiting for a compression tool to arrive and then I'll check that. I was thinking of just pulling plugs as a start and having a look at them.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What colour of smoke did you have?

Some of the common no-initial combustion:

- Fuel pump on its way.
- Fuel pump relay on its way.
- Fuel system relay (on the top of radiator) on its way.
- CPS (Cam Position Sensor) on its way
- MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) trouble.
- Faulty ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) Sensor.
- Neglected maintenance.

Retrieve fault codes from OBD-I. Let us know if you need guidance as to getting the fault codes.

JPN

Attached Thumbnails non starter-850-eng-compt-ecu.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 04:30 PM

I'm thinking its a fuel problem at the moment. I pulled the plugs. They were a bit oily but pretty new looking. I checked the cap. Looked ok as well. Put everything back together and tried starting again (I didn't expect it to start) but it after 10 seconds of cranking it went and seems to run ok at the moment.

It was maintained fairly well but I don't have all the records so the fuel filter will get changed soon. I'm still going to see if any codes are showing up. Definately not the MAF though since mine doesn't have one. Mine has different injectors so it has a MAP sensor as Tech correctly identified a while back. I don't like things randomly not working so I'll still try to figure out why it didn't want to work for a couple days.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 AM
JPN

Good place to start.

I hope the following thread may be of some help for you:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/new-volvo-850-owners-read-important-thread-also-applies-s-v70s-9266/

Let us know how it goes, if you would.

JPN

Last edited by JPN; 10-12-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 PM

you said it was raining? take a squirt bottle with water in it and wet your plug wires when its running
if it stalls when you hit them, be a good start
at night you may be able to see sparks around the plugs on the outside of the wires
volvodoctor

Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by JPN
Good place to start.

http://mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

JPN
what is this thread supposed to be? Sure its the right one?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 AM
JPN

Uh, well, it was the Internet Explorer Ver.8 that screwed it up (yes, blame it all on Microsoft or that Billy guy!!!).

Here: https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9266

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks to Gates (or the chief designer of the IE Ver.8).

JPN

Old 10-13-2009, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by JPN
Good place to start.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9266

JPN
Pulled the codes and she's a 1-1-1. No problems there. I did figure out how to turn the darn service light off though. I thought I was going to be stuck with it! Glad the '95 lets you pull and clear codes without a scanner. My ABS light is now on more often though. Grrr. When you buy a module, do you have to specify what wheel or are they generic? I don't know which wheel is giving me the problem.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 AM
JPN

The module usually fails on 96-97 models, and for 93-95 models it is the brake light switch & pedal sensor that render the ABS useless. There is a post by a member named Arzy, who had successfully repaired his ABS by fixing the internals of the pedal sensor. I you can use soldering iron, the repair is not difficult. I'll provide pics should you decide to resolve this trouble.

Code 1-1-1.....strange (but Volvo's OBD is not very reliable sometimes)

JPN

Old 10-13-2009, 06:07 PM

My 850 is out of singapore and uses the fenix 5.2 system. My haynes manual (U.K version) has my flashing lights (1-1-1) as a no fault code. I was able to reset the service light using the same diagnostic box under the hood.

My ABS/TRACS light does come on more frequently now. Not immediately upon start-up but after a minute or two after using the brakes. Does that sound like the sensor and not the module?