Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake

Hi All,

Well getting there, rear lights replaced, car looking tidy, rear tailgate rattle solved by inverted brackets and a supporting role by velcro, Ac noise gone easily, thanks to Tech, and all that remains is....

Parking brake and Inspection.

Tightening the cable from the centre console doesn't seem to help, although it does appear that the cable is working to some degree because I have a squeak from the rear brakes when I pull off, it is silenced by pulling the parking brake on and off.

Anyway, presuming that the only issue is the shoes themselves, how involved a job is it? My mechanic was out sick today and I 'm starting to get a little tight on time for the inspection. I don't have much space to carry out any work, nor a dry place (very relevant right now), but if its a reasonably simplistic job, then I'll take a look.

Anyone have any idiot proof instructions or the like?

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT - If I have no resistance even with cable adjustment at the console end, is it still likely that adjustment at the wheel end would reap any benefit, if so, then obviously, I should try that, and again, I'm afraid I have to ask, any advice on that OR, any special tools needed?

Oh, i ordered some 'Forever Black' online, my paintwork is immaculate, but the black is grey, anyone else used this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Default RE: Parking Brake

Do you have rear drum brakes.

I tried to do the shoes one time and I could not get the shoe spring off, they told me I needed a special tool.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 PM

No, I have rotors on the rear, but its my understanding that the parking brake uses shoes which sit within the center of the rotor, acting much like a drum.

But your comment may be very relevant, for all I know, a special tool may be needed.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is pretty easy to get apart.Remove the 2 13mm bolts holding the caliper on the car.
Then remove the 10mm screw holding the rotor on the hub.Then you migt have to wack the rotor to get it to come loose adn slide it off.Then you can inspect the shoes.

CAUTION:: If you have to hit the rotor to get it loose hit the flat side where the lugs go through.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:45 PM

Tech,

Thanks, that information will no doubt be invaluable.

Can you just confirm in your view, given the scenario, no material change from Torx screw on console, whether its worth trying to adjust the shoes before removing the rotor etc, or, do the shoes sound shot to you?

If adjustment should be attempted, how and where is my next question.

Faithfully promising to grab a Haynes at the weekend

Thanks

Old 10-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Administrator

First pull it apart and check the shoes good.You will see the adjuster on the shoes once you get the rotor off.
If you adjust it some I would back off of the screw in the console first.Then adjust the shoes and then go back to the console.
You have to adjust then with the rotor off then slide it back on so you can't overadjust it.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:05 PM

I'll follow your instructions to the letter and see what the shoes look like, so bearing that in mind, this next question is just one of curiosity, I had thought I read somewhere that an extra hole was located on the rotor, in which you could put a screwdriver through and adjust the shoes.

Am I getting the 850 confused with another model?

I would do well not to ask silly questions really

Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Some rotors have them and some don't.Thats why I back out almost all the way on the cable adjustment and then adjust the rear so the rotor is a little tight going on then adjust the cable.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi Tech and All,

Well, predictably a small problem.

The parking brake shoes were worn down so, new ones going on, one side no issue at all, the other, the shoes are stuck out about a ¼ inch and the rotor cannot be replaced. The adjustments are in at the max at both ends and STILL the rotor won't fit.

Is this sounding like a frozen cable or something else? Anybody experienced this?

Thanks in advance, I need to get the car inspected and could really do with the brakes fixing.

Mick

Old 10-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Make sure all the brackets that go between the shoes on the top and bottom are seated all the way.
Sometimes they will not seat all the way.

Also you can check the cable by slowly having someone pull the handle and see if the cable moves.
Make sure you have the rotor on the other side though.