Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rattling... everything.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rattling... everything.

I've got some pretty bad rattles coming from all 4 doors, the dashboard, and the sunroof on my 850. A few weeks ago I went ahead and took all 4 of the door panels off and tightened everything I could see, some of the stuff was really loose! Everything was fine until about a week later when light rattling returned in all four doors:

Front Driver Side Door: Rattle coming from somewhere around the speaker, I've taken the cover off it multiple times, checked around, nothing loose. Also when the car is on and idling there is a light, steady rattle that comes from the support on the left side of the windshield.

Front Passenger Side Door: Light rattling that only happens every once and awhile, right in the middle of the door, below the handle slightly, tapping the door etc does not make the rattle go away.

Rear Driver Side Door: This rattle is the rarest, but it is a loud rattle that appears to becoming directly from the door handle, however I cant find anything loose. Tapping door does not solve the rattle.

Rear Passenger Side Door: This rattle happens about 50% of the time and is the same as the rear driver side door, right on the handle, but a bit quieter.

As for the sunroof, I'm not really willing to pull the ceiling off and those rattles are rarer. As are the dash rattles, which usually just involve opening and closing the glove box, or a strange metally rattle that happens under hard acceleration directly behind the steering wheel.

I've tried just dealing with these rattles, but honestly they're loud enough to be heard over fairly loud music, and they just really, REALLY annoy me. So if anyones got some info on some things that I could tighten that I might be missing, or just in general how to get rid of rattles, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

( Also if you need pictures I will take a post them )

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM

sorry Bro...4 numbers -1995- You car is 16 years old it's going to have rattles!

You could try and have your tires balanced, your suspension if it has not been replaced could use a makeover...same goes for engine mounts and trannie mounts, After 16 years of driving in all sorts of weather conditions and temperatures it get's really loose; hence your rattles and creeks.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 97, rattle central but not every panel like yours, mainly from the front end (endlinks, all mounts, just changed upper engine mount rattle @ idle sounds like a diesel from inside the car) you'll have to locate and replace each and every rattle source...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That many rattles would bother the heck out of me. We are actually thinking of replacing the 97 White car because we have rattles in the dash that I can not seem to solve. My 95 Yellow car has next to no rattles at all.

Wish I could give you advice on how to fix them, but you will just have to do the best you can. Usually finding them is the hard part, but you seem to have isolated where they are coming from.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, Ill just go back into the doors and recheck things, is felt tape and stuff safe to use?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

I hear ya man. Try having a wagon, the back area is horrendous.

Felt tape = friend