Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

rear coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool rear coil springs

hey guys it looks like the left side of my rear is dropped a lil bit than the right side. its not straight.what could be the problem?springs?

rear coil springs-03122012772.jpg

Old 03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

springs or shocks are blown. Shock mount blown.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 PM

l just replaced the shocks with sachs.l think its the springs

Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocks don't control ride height its going to be springs. Your going to need to confirm they are seated.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 AM

why is it that when it is very very cold outside my ride becomes very stiff with less body roll, but when it gets warm my ride losens up and there is more body roll and my dash board rattles when going over bumps.but when its very cold outside it never rattle over bumps cuz the ride is very stiff.could it be the springs getting weak and losens up when warm and it freezes up when its cold making the ride stiffer?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boxpin
Shocks don't control ride height its going to be springs. Your going to need to confirm they are seated.
The shock, if it's a good shock (gas over oil) will add a little bit to ride height because they are pressurized but most likely not enough to notice. Those are the ones when you take them out of the box they have a retainer to keep them from extending and once you cut or remove that retainer they extend on their own.
If a shock mount failed you would usually have a knocking sound in the rear that was hard to locate and again you might loose a little height but I doubt you'd notice it. I lost one and couldn't tell from side to side any difference in ride height.
Like Boxpin, it's likely you have a spring starting to fail or it's shifted off it's seat or maybe broken off a coil or two.

Most shocks have oil in them. The valving is what controls how soft or firm the ride will be and how well they control the bumps you hit and keep the wheels planted to the road. They use gas, usually nitrogen in them to keep pressure on the oil to control the oil from foaming as it goes back and forth through the valving mechanism. Oil in your shock reacts to temperature the way engine oil does. When it's Minnesota cold, -25 and you hit a bump you feel it to your bones. Same shock in Florida, same bump, same speed and car and you have a normal "feel" to hitting that bump. Up here we have to be (should be) a little more careful what we hit a pothole when we first start out until that oil has warmed up from friction going back and forth. Most people in cold climates will blow a shock in the first couple miles from a cold start and not necessarily know it because everything is so stiff at first. It's caused by hitting something drastic when the shocks oil is too thick to be able to compensate for the hit.

Photo, right rear shock mount blown out.

Attached Thumbnails rear coil springs-rear-shock-mount-r-broken-2010.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-14-2012 at 03:26 PM.