Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Regular Maintenance ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular Maintenance ???

Hey, i purchased my '850 turbo wagon about 2 months ago and was wondering about maintenance or things to look out for. Itshows 128k but i have already replaced the gears in the odo but according to carfax it really shouldn't have entirely to much more, im guessing 150k. Anyway, i know the fuel pump is only 1k miles old and the timing belt is at about athalf life. I checked all the belts and hoses (and were good), changed the oil and filter, drained and filled the tranny (couldn't find filter kit), coolant looked great, replaced the fuel filter and air box, and replaced the plugs and the wires looked new (although i didnt take the time to ohm them out). So what else, aside from suspension and brakes unless they lead to catastrophic repairs, should i be aware of?

From research on here i plan on doing the PVC system monday because I have a small ammount of blow-by but alot of oil arround the oil cap and plugs. Is there anything else i should take care of while im replacing the pcv box (and lines) while ihave the intake off?

I also notice my turbo guage does not go to full power in either economy or sport mode and sometimes my anti-lock and traction lights come on. Thanks ahead of time to anbody taking the time torespond!!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Regular Maintenance ???

What year is the car?

That is an important question when it comes to the ABS/TRACS issues. It will also help with giving you guidance for diagnosing other problems.

As far as the mileage goes, 140k is a very important service interval. Where do you get the idea that the timing belt is at half life when you are at 150k. On the 1993-early 1994 cars the timing belt service interval is 50k miles. Late 1994 and on it is 70k miles. Do you have evidence of a timing belt change after 70k?

There is no filter kit for the transmission. Drain, fill, run it for a bit, and then do it over again until you have nice pretty red fluid. It will take a few gallons of ATF to get things right.

At 140k you should also change the idler roller, the tensioner roller, the tensioner, and (I know this is up for debate but after what I changed a couple of weeks ago there is no debate) the water pump - along with the belt of course.

The plug wires should be Bougicord and nothing else. They have a date stamp on the wires and as I recall it is in the month/year format.

It is funny that you ask about other things to do while the intake is off. When I serviced my son's PCV I laughingly commented that this would be a perfect time to replace the starter. It died 10 days later. I'm not suggesting a starter change but the guy Murphy is always around. If you have EGR then for sure service the valve with carb cleaner and the hole that goes into the intake manifold as well. In my case that took carb cleaner and an ice pick to clear. Clean the throttle body as well.

You will need to add the EGR gasket and the throttle body gasket to your PCV parts list at checkout.

If your boost is low you need to check all of your vacuum lines but that comes with the territory when you service the PCV.

Here is a picture of a water pump that wasn't changed at 140k:

I had a dealer service stamp for the 140k service and figured that all had been changed. Only the belt was changed and the tensioner was shot, the bearings on the rollers were very rough, and the water pump was squealing and dragging where it was chewing through the housing. It had just begun to leak and it was just drops.

A shot over the bow for sure.

...Lee

Old 11-15-2008, 09:39 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread would answer half your questions.

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

Also, let us know what year your 850 is.

JPN

Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 AM

the car is a '96 and we visuallyinspected the timing belt. thanks for the help!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 AM

forgot to ask if anybody knows of, or recommends, a good valve cleaner. I was thinking about running some Sea Foam through the engine via a vacum line. Any suggestions....good/bad idea. Thanks again

Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the larger bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner. Some people put it in half tank but I usually fill it up.

JPN