Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Replaced front axle - now noise from Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced front axle - now noise from Tranny

Over the weekend I replaced the driver axle shaft with a used one that I pulled from the junk yard but that had pristine rubber boots (mine were torn wide open).

I was able to get it installed without much problem, I think it is seated properly based on the fact that I heard a click when I pressed it in and no leaks visible from the seal (did not replace seal).

On the first test drive everything was fine except when I come to a stop (and also when I start the car and go into neutral) I sometimes hear a grinding noise from the tranny. Not all the times - while driving everything sounds normal.

Did I perhaps introduce dirt into the tranny? If so, what is the best way to remediate this situation ? Would a drain and fill help or do I need to do a flush or something else? I will also re-check the seating of the axle in case it isn't all they way in.... would that be causing a noise ? I would think if it's not seated properly I would hear the noise also while driving or would see a leak. I am thinking dirt could be the culprit given that I only hear it sometimes (cycles through radiator?). Would this be going away with further driving (temperatures of the tranny dissentigrating the dirt?)

Also, I was wondering is it OK to re-use the axle nut? I did but later on read that it is a one-time use nut...

My car is a '95 Volvo 850 turbo.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have a 95 850 turbo with an auto or manual ?? What did you pull the axle from ??

You would need to have a ton of dirt in there to hear it grinding between the gears. It would need to be pretty big particles of grit.

The manual trans CV axle is 10mm longer but can be used in an automatic. I know that from personal experience as it was a substitution when I needed to buy one. I'm not sure if the reverse is true.

Was the transmission end cleaned before installing it ??

If it's a manual it might be a clutch noise that you didn't notice before but now that you've replaced a part you are paying more attention (or turned the radio down).

I think that nut gets reused a lot more than it should. Most people I know don't get a new nut when they pull the spindle loose to replace something else. You should use a new nut or at least use a Locktite type product on it so you're sure it doesn't back off with use.

Attached Thumbnails Replaced front axle - now noise from Tranny-cv-shaft-ball-cage-diagram.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I have an automatic and the axle was also pulled from an automatic. So that rules out the clutch issue.

The transmission end was pretty clean when I put it in but I didn't specifically clean it. to be honest when I put the old one out tranny oil was running out pretty quickly so I was more focused on getting the replacement one into the tranny to stop the fluid loss but in retrospect should have just put a catch pan under it and cleaned the axle some.

There wasn't any dirt visible if any dirt made it into the tranny then really something small that I would have needed solvent or something to clean properly.

Thanks for the rest of the info.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

You did put in a 'used' axle and have no idea what the condition of it is internally.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM

I totally agree and was aware of it but at $25 price point I thought I give it a try.

I will put a new one in if that is the reason for the noise but am not sure given it doesn't make any noise while driving. Wouldn't an internal noise of the axle also be noticeable while driving?

Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Forgot to mention - - IMHO, Always do the seal. It's about seven bucks or less and it's worth not having to pull the axle soon after to cure a leak.

Turning or not the axle should not be able to cause a noise inside the tranmission. It has straight cut splines so it's not "driven" as in gear to gear contact. When you push it in you engage the splines into what is driven same as the other end which gets pulled into the splines in the hub assembly. The end in the transmission if anything , , if badly worn would rattle or knock if loose but it doesn't sound like your issue/noise.
I don't think there is any way you introduced enough dirt to cause any problem.
Hearing a grinding noise in drive when the vehicle is stopped rules out anything rotational or the CV axle itself since it's not moving.

You might want to try blocking the wheels or better yet getting someone to hold the brake while you get your head under the hood. What might sound like a transmission noise might be coming from someplace else.

Maybe something shifted when you did the job and have an exhaust heat shield rubbing, motor or trans mount ???

Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback. While I haven't found the source of the noise I now found out it doesn't seem to come from the transmission. It appears actually to be more a rattling sound not grinding sound plus I do notice it also while driving so agree that I must have perhaps moved something in the process.

Will look further into it over the weekend when I'm putting a new axle & seal in.

Thanks again.