Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

replaced timing belt, now car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced timing belt, now car wont start

I just replaced the timing belt, tensoiner and idler. Had a hard time with belt but didn't think I altered any thing. Now the car wont start, it cranks but sounds like the timing is off or like there is no fuel, which there is. Thought maybe some how I was 180 out but when I removed belt and tried to rotate crank shaft, it would only go about a 1/4 turn in which case I don't see how I could have messed that up. Don't know what else to do and we really need the car. Please help.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Did you try to remove the belt again, and make sure all 3 timing marks are on point?

Old 10-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Put the engine at TDC with all your marks lined up, crank and cams. Then pull the distributor cap and look where the rotor is pointing. It should be pointing to the #1 plug or right at your chest if you are standing in front of the car. It should not be pointing to the bottom towards the rack & pinion.

Do not attempt to turn the crank over without the belt. That 1/4 turn is the pistons hitting valves. Thats a no-no

Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 PM

I have reset the belt a number of times. My biggest problem is I could not find the mark on the crank shaft so I rotated every thing and re-aligned the cam shaft marks, then marked where the crank was sitting. I know that was a dumb thing to do but I was desperate. Since I though maybe I was 180 out, I did remove the belt and tried to rotate the crank, it was like you said, I only got a quarter turn til it stopped. Atleast I know I'm not 180 out and so far there seams to be no damage. I will reset at tdc and check the rotor like you suggested. Do you know what the timing mark on the crank looks like and where it might be located? Thank you guys for responding btw.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 PM

Its a very small mark, looks almost like some poked a notch with a small paper clip...

Here is a post that might help--->http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=27078

Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

That mark is hard to see but here is a photo as well.

If the motor was cranking, it probably was lined up fine. Maybe there was some other problem preventing the start. If you turned the key and it was not lined up properly you likely would have heard a horriable sound of valves hitting the pistons, etc.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Its tough to see, here is another picture

Name:  timingmark.jpg
Views: 3629
Size:  18.4 KB

Name:  timingmark2.jpg
Views: 3396
Size:  36.4 KB

Last edited by boxpin; 10-16-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
If you turned the key and it was not lined up properly you likely would have heard a horriable sound of valves hitting the pistons, etc.
When you say you turned it a quarter turn and it stopped where you turning it by hand?

I'm not sure on a Volvo, knock knock, but I know on a lot of interference engines you only hear a little noise (loud and painful) as the piston hammers the valve and then locks up as the piston can't get past the bent valve (cracked head).

Sorry to ask but have you checked for spark out of the coil and at the plug yet? You said you had fuel.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by overtorquer
"but when I removed belt and tried to rotate crank shaft, it would only go about a 1/4 turn in which case I don't see how I could have messed that up."
Did you turn the crank with the belt off?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Yes, after I could not get the engine to start, I pulled the belt off and rotated the crank. When I felt it stop, I turned it back to where it was. I've tried to start it again since, no horrible noises, just wont kick in and it sounds so close. I haven't done the other recommendations yet do to work. I'm off today and of coase its raining, but I have to try it. Will report back either way.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Administrator

The other thing to try is pull number one plug all the way out and then back in just a thread. Slowly turn the engine over by hand and listen for the compression hissing past the plug. That way you know you're at TDC or close and you can align the crankshaft gear with it's marks and recheck the cams per the above pictures to check your work. That way you'd know you aren't out 180 at the crank. If you know all three marks are good and the hydraulic tensioner is holding the belt tight it's time to move on to fuel pressure and spark.
If you're going to pull a plug I'd pull a couple just to see if they are gas fouled from the cranking.
Whatever works to get you going again

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 10-19-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Ok all, sorry it took so long to get back. I want to thank you all so much for all the help. The car is up and running well. I found the timing mark on the crank shaft thanks to the pictures you guys sent me. I did some thing stupid I guess because the timing mark is right where I made my own mark. I think I was so nervous of damaging the engine that I didn't crank it over enough to catch. At any rate, its all good now and I owe it all to you all and this forum. Now my Durango took a dive and I haven't found a forum for that. Makes me appreciate this forum even more. I will check in from time to time and see if I can return the kindness you've shown me by helping another if I'm able.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Red face

Now my Durango took a dive and I haven't found a forum for that. Makes me appreciate this forum even more.
Are you joking me,,,,,, we can help with a Durango too ! ! !

Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! - Powered by vBulletin

BUT why in the world would you want to fix it? It's the perfect excuse to have it towed off and traded in for a Turbo "R"!

Wagon of course!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 10-23-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added a dig!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Durango took a dive and I haven't found a forum for that. Makes me appreciate this forum even more.
1+ To Kiss. I have gotten more help here about other cars than I have at the specific forum. Go to the "Off Topic" section and post your problem there.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM

LOL, you guys are awesume!!!!