Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Reset Central Locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset Central Locking

First, I'm a newbie and have spent some hours researching my problem and still looking for the answer. Ihave a '97 850 T5 sedan 135k - best car I've ever owned. One day the key fob remote no longer would unlock the car, nor would the spare fob. I got the car used 4 years ago and the central door lock feature using the key in the door has never worked, so I've always used the key fob. I removed fuse #6 so I could drive the car, but now I have to manually lock and unlock all doors. Every time I put the fuse back in, the alarm is trigerred by either opening the door or putting the key in the ignition. The program feature (turn ignition on/off 5 times) doesn't work when the alarm is activated, and if I wait for it to go off, it just reactivates when I try to reprogram (put fresh batteries in key fob also). Also took the fuse panel cover off and couldn't locate the proper relay - no labelling clues on the relay and as I felt each relay it seemed like the "clicking" of the flashers was coming from underneath, although from a different source than the regular hazards.

So, I either have no electric locks or I'm disabled with alarm activated. Is there a way to reset the alarm to get it out of "locked" mode? Where is the signal/receiver located? During a previous service last year, the dealer noticed the problem with the door key not activating the locks and wanted a zillion dollars to replace them. I know it's a separate issue, but is it a matter of clean/lube locks and actuators or replace? I appreciate any help.

This is a great forum - thanks for the resources! I'm in.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Reset Central Locking

I don't have answer, just more questions. Maybe, someone has the answer.

Have you tried replacing the fuse...
1) with the doors closed and the windows open?
a. try unlocking passenger's side door with key
b. try unlocking passenger's side door from inside thru open window
c. try unlocking trunk with key

2) with the doors open and the windows open?
a. try unlocking passenger's side door with key
b. try unlocking passenger's side door from inside
c. try unlocking trunk with key

Does the alarm system have diagnostic trouble codes? My guess is that one of its sensors has a short or open circuit. Would you be able to chase down all of the sensor circuits with a voltmeter?

Sorry that I don't have the answer. I need to find out where I can buy service manuals...

VIDA (Volvo Car's "Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales")
https://www.volvotechinfo.com
VADIS will be discontinued after December 17th. After that time, only VIDA will be accessible.
https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....&class=SERVICE

Hey look what I've found -- Genuine Volvo Paper Service Manuals...
https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....=service,parts

Haynes

Old 01-09-2006, 06:00 PM

hi there the information i have is if the remote is lost or broken to restore the central locking the alarm relay which is above the accelerator pedal black box with green plug on top must be taken to a volvo dealer [ ouch] where it can be reset.then the key fobs can be programed as in the manual.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty sure I tried about everything you suggested. Still stuck in "armed" mode. I even started the car with the fuse out, installed the fuse and waited for the alarm to cycle off. If I left the door open, it wouldn't cycle off. With the door closed, it cycled and then activated as soon as I opend the door - even with the car running.

Just spoke to a dealer. Culprit is most likely alarm relay module which is usually just removed due to cost of replacement. When it goes bad it just quits responding to remotes and that's it. They had no clue about resetting. I'll post when I find the fix.

I did discover that my passenger side key lock will lock all doors. Never knew that. Found a lock to replace drivers side on eBay so maybe I'll get that working as a bonus.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 PM

I had part of your problem with my wagon and never got around to fixing it;

I.E. My central locking works from passenger door and from the tailgate, but not the drivers door, you beat me to it on ebay, I've been casually looking for a unit myself!

However, here's my real question, if I understand what your saying correctly, you've been able to get all doors to centrally lock by using the remote, even tho the drivers door wouldnt activate by key? If this is correct, I'll just go ahaed and obtain a replacement remote and see if that does the trick ( at least in the interim ).

Good luck with your alarm issue.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:44 AM

You're almost correct. I was struggling with how to describe my issue in 200 words or less, so I understand the confusion. My system won't lock the doors via the key fob either. If it's working properly, and the doors are already locked, you'll hear a "cachunk" noise when you press lock again on the key fob. This system DID work on my car even though the key method didn't work on the driver's side door. I scored a used key fob on ebay once for about $50.00 that works fine. To test, hold it up to your ear and you'll hear a faint "chirp" when pressed. If the battery is failing, you'll hear 3 chirps.

Also, there's an actuator in both the driver and passenger side doors that cause the other doors to lock/unlock with the key turn. That requires a new power door lock assembly if it's failed.

I bought a PDF of the receiver/transmitter system from Volvotech, but they didn't send me the link with my order confirmation so I'm trying to get that figured out now. [:@] I'll try to find the alarm relay next

Good luck

Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the information!!

I'm going to grab a fob off e-bay and see if that gets me by.

Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2006, 03:47 AM

Wanted to follow up and post a thanks too.

I followed suit and grabbed a remote off ebay, for $20, did the 5 on/off program thing and I can now lock all doors without having to worry about the fact that the central locking is not working from the drivers door lock! Yay!

Next stop, my local garage, who say they can install a remote starter for $200.

Thanks again.

Mick

Old 01-18-2006, 12:50 PM

Mass 850,
Good luck on the remote starter. There is one on my 94 wag, (was there when I bought it) The glitch is you have to get out, open the rear door, reach in and lock the drivers door which locks all doors via central locking. If you lock with the fob or the key, and use remote start it triggers the alarm. Not a real big issue for me, but if your drivers door won't central lock it may be a problem.
..............Jim

Old 01-18-2006, 02:57 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your input, that doesn't sound so great!

I wonder if others have had similar encounters?

The remote starter I am having fitted, will control the central locking in just the same way that the current remote does, bypassing the fact that the manual approach only works from passenger and tailgate locks.

I'm a simpleton when it comes to all this, but I did explain the way that the current system works, working fully for all doors from the remote, and the guy was pretty confident that the remote locking/starter would tie in the same way?

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the heads up.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:23 PM

Mick,
I don't know squat about electronics, and I'm also new to the Volvo world. I did speak with the installer, and he told me that he had a rough time with this install. I guess he seemed to think the factory security system was the major culprit. I think he hopes he never has to do another Volvo install. My personal standpoint? I'm not sure I' let this guy install a horn on a tricycle. Personalities I guess.
As I said before, this method of locking for remote start isn't much headache for me, I just don't carry my keyless fob, cause I would need to carry both to use both features, so guess which one stays home?
I know I'm not much help, but now I feel better! (Some times a guy's just gotta vent) Thanks for listening.
............Jim

Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 PM

Hey Jim,

Actually that was a lot of help, I'm of the view that forewarned is forearmed, and I'd rather spend a few minutes clarifying it with the installer, than end up going back to find he ran in to all kinds of things he didn't expect.

So, thanks again and have a good one.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:34 PM

Well, just a follow up;

Had the remote starter and locks module fitted today. The only snag they ran in to was the need to overcome a resistor situation, the upshot being that the remotes that come with the starter now operate the locks perfectly, BUT, the Volvo remote cannot be used for that. Not an issue, since the new remotes work at a much better distance and seem a little quicker to respond.

So, anyway, relatively trouble free and warm drives home, here I come