Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rough ride, breaking and suspension problems

Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ride, breaking and suspension problems

My 1996 Volvo 850T wagon drives roughly. There are a few things i noticed that could be related.
First, since I got the car 3 years ago I noticed it's low in the front. (is it suspension at fault? is so, what parts are first to check and replace and so on - to minimize cost).
Second, when i drive it i feel every bump or irregularity in the road and if i hit a pothole, forget it...it's like hitting my head against concrete...loud, hard and painful. The whole car seems like it's falling apart.
Third, when I break there is this short loud noise at every full rotation of the wheel coming from the back left i think....can't tell, it's so loud and rough and difficult to come to a full stop. The harder I step on the breaks the louder the repetitive noise. (The pads and rotors have been changed in the front last year. The back right break caliper is stuck and the rotor has rusty spots...i guess it doesn't break at all).
And lately when i turn left or right at low speeds I can hear a rubbing noise from the front as if tires are rubbing against something when I turn the steering wheel all the way.
Also the steering wheel is more loose than a few months ago.
Question: are these problems all related? Where should I start and what should i fix to make the ride smooth and healthy for the car?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure about the other things, but my 94 850 turbo rides rough too, the turbo models had a stiffer sportier suspension in them and that's why you would have a rough ride. I don't know, are you saying that it used to be smooth and now it rides really rough?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, I just bought a 1996 850 GLt 150k miles and love the car but i have never ridden in a car with a rougher ride!! Io it and recommendations?? int second your comments. Did you replace anything and get a better ride? How much did you put in it?? Thanks Don in Dallas

Originally Posted by spioana007
My 1996 Volvo 850T wagon drives roughly. There are a few things i noticed that could be related.
First, since I got the car 3 years ago I noticed it's low in the front. (is it suspension at fault? is so, what parts are first to check and replace and so on - to minimize cost).
Second, when i drive it i feel every bump or irregularity in the road and if i hit a pothole, forget it...it's like hitting my head against concrete...loud, hard and painful. The whole car seems like it's falling apart.
Third, when I break there is this short loud noise at every full rotation of the wheel coming from the back left i think....can't tell, it's so loud and rough and difficult to come to a full stop. The harder I step on the breaks the louder the repetitive noise. (The pads and rotors have been changed in the front last year. The back right break caliper is stuck and the rotor has rusty spots...i guess it doesn't break at all).
And lately when i turn left or right at low speeds I can hear a rubbing noise from the front as if tires are rubbing against something when I turn the steering wheel all the way.
Also the steering wheel is more loose than a few months ago.
Question: are these problems all related? Where should I start and what should i fix to make the ride smooth and healthy for the car?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spioana007
Your car is trying to tell you it's in dire need of attention and maintenance!!

I would suspect from your symptoms that your front suspension needs a complete overhaul (struts, control arms, tie rods, etc.) and possibly the rear suspension needs work too. Apparently you're aware the "brakes" need work too.

Are you working on the car yourself or looking to have it done?