Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Timing Belt Troubles - Cant get it set right...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Troubles - Cant get it set right...

So i got my valve cover put back on yesterday...used the holding tool i made to lock the slots on the gears in place which worked pretty well. I can't for the life of me get the timing set correctly though...was hoping someone could explain where i'm going wrong. I get it set correctly w/o the belt on by the marks on the camshaft gears and crank gear, although once i release the tensioner pin things shift and the cam shaft gears aren't lined up anymore....

Here's how i've been doing it (working from the VADIS procedure):
-start with all timing components installed except for tensioner
-install upper tbelt cover
-install cam gears & line up with notches in t-belt cover (crank gear is already lined up)
-on each gear, install 2 of 3 screws. Not torqued down all the way, just snug.
-remove tbelt cover
-install timing belt, i usually first put this over the Crank gear then to the cam gears, then finally around water pump and tensioner pulley
-bolt on tensioner
-loosen screws holding cam gears,
-pull tensioner pin
-with a rubber mallet tap top of timing belt 2x, then on side between water pump/exhaust cam 2x
-install upper tbelt cover & recheck alignment...

it's always off by at least 1 entire tooth...I've done it 4 times now with no luck

Old 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Timing Belt Troubles - Cant get it set right...

This thread may help you. https://volvoforums.com/m_76071/tm.htm

Old 06-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have a couple of things going on. Did you remove the cam sprockets? The cam sprockets have slotted holes which allows foradjustable cam timing. From the factory they are more or less centered so your sprocket boltsshould be centered in the slots if you didn't mark them before removal.

The real secret to life is to get the new timing belt very taught between the crankshaft, over the idler and onto the intake cam.It is very easy to be one tooth loose. Between the two cam sprockets is should be "snug" but there will be some play in it. From there it just loose fits over the tensioner pulley until you pull the pin. I'm sure you are doing it but rotate the engine buy hand a couple of revolutions and recheck the timing marks before you fire it up.

...Lee

Old 06-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You are off by one tooth where?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some pause on your home made cam tool, no disrespect sir. Lisle Co. has a universal cam tool that locks the cams at the most outward part of the cam gear which holds the cam gears in position with better results in my opinion.As Ozark Lee indicates, the belt tension on the leading edge of the belt is critical. Some times I will rotate the crank gear a half a tooth back and forth to achieve the results required. Also rotate the engine several times to check your marks. Good Luck!