Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Cant get S80 to turn over..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get S80 to turn over..

I have a 99 s80 t6, in which needed some head work but before I could start that work, I went to move it onto the Trailer and it wouldnt start, it had started up fine before. We tested the starter and replaced the ignition switch mod, however that did not fix the problem. Where might the PNP be located and is there a way to bypass or test it?? I was told the only way to replace the PNP is to buy the entire shift motor located under the gear shifter but I have no idea which mod is the PNP or if its actually located on the Transmission uunder the hood. I know the engine is not locked up, it moves freely when turned. The battery has been fully charged and disconnected and reconnected, also tried the "reset" sequence. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Cant get S80 to turn over..

Did you try jumping the soleniod on the starter to see if the starter is bad?

Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 AM

I havent tried that but I did take the entire starter off and had it tested at Autozone on their machine.. do you think it could have been a faulty positive? Ive heard of that happening.. or intermittent working starter? Ive also heard that the positive cables in this model were reocated and seem to go bad. I will try and jump it today at around noon, Ill post my findings. Thanks Tech.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

There usually isn't that much of a problem with the wires on these cars.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:28 PM

We jumped the excite wire directly to a power source and the car turns over but wont start. We arent getting power to our excite wire*the one with different colors that plugs into the selenoid* with a small gauge comparable wire. What do you think we should try next?

Thanks!!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

When you try to start with the key do you get a message in the window?
It will be something like Start prevention try again.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:45 PM

When we retried to jump the solenoid, the only codes and items that came up were the check engine, stc, and abs which were already coming up before- they are being taken care of...no Start or Start Prevention codes came up. I put a volt meter on the ecite wire right before we tried all of this and its not even getting 0.01 volts. It should be getting at least 10.0I think. My husband would like to rule out the Park Neutral Switch.. do you know where that is located? He thinks its either under the sihfter or somewhere on the transmission. We're trying to rule out everything before we haul it into the mechanics. I feel right at home with fords and chevys but volvo are hard to figure out- Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator

If you know Chevy's then you shoudl be able to find the PNP on the trans.
The Trans. is a GM trans.
But im thinking the Immoblizer is not allowing the wire to have 12 Volts.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Hmmm. How do I test this theory or fix it? With my luck its a trip to the local Volvo dealer, which sucks because we dont have the transport trailer anymore and our volvo ppl are difficult to work with. Is there a single location for the immobilizer or is it a sequence of items like the CEM and the ECM? I wonder how I could have tripped the key ? Possibly putting it near a magnet or something? I did also change the radio and didnt have the software upgrade yet.. Do you think taking it to Volvo and having them hook it up to the OBD II would work or a new key- My problem is that I purchased this car with only the valet and I havent got a new one yet because I havent had to yet- I guess this is the time..?
Thanks, as always.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

It is really hard to tell anything without seeing and hooking up to the car.

But usually if the key doesn't work it will set a message in the window.

Keys very rarely get neutralised. But it is possible. But like I said it should have a message.

Have you checked all fuses?

It did run before but doesn't now?

How long did it sit for?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM

All the fuses are good,I checked the ones in the side drivers panel and the ones under the hood- did I forget some??It had sat for about 3 months since thelast time we tried to start it inOct it had a head problem of course and ran hot after a few mins but still would turn on. We did have a really cold front and lots of snow and ice but I doubt that would have affected it. I would just like to get it running before I tear it all apart the do the head work, and Im even considering take in that in because I read that it calls for "special tools" which I have no clue about. When we bypassed the wire yesterday it did not come up with any messages other than STC and ABS, and check engine light*all problably because of the stereo install, the abs needing rebuilt and an O2 sensor is bad. The motor- thank god- isnt locked up though. My husband is frustrated by the PNP though because hes looking for some u shaped bracket and bolt like on his chevy but cant seem to find it- he doesnt know if hes looking far enough back or just overlooking the piece.
I might have the car towed in today and have em check the immobilizer and my key- maybe cut a master key. Im going to go through all the fuses again, maybe I missed one- do an ohms test on em. Is there another set of fuses I may have overlooked?
Again, as always thanks for your help. and prompt replies.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 PM

I just tested some fuses I found in the trunk, they were all good. However I did notice when I used to put my key in the ignition the green light used to light up around it, but it doesnt do that anymore.. Maybe my car is being immoblized because my Ignition ring isnt communicating to my key? I though that if that was activated the car would stuill start but stall, according the the manual. But maybe in some cases it wont start at all? Very odd- and yesterday when direct jumping the solenoid the car cranked buut had a weird rythem to it, it kinda loped - crank crank silence, crank crank silence which it never did before. Arent there some fuses and relays under the passenger door and under the hood by the ECM? Ill check them out in a lil bit if I can find em.
Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Administrator

You must be loosing power somewhere. The light shoudl light up which is the immoblizer antenna.
There is relays under the dash on the drivers side. None on passenger side or by the ECM.

Now that I think of it there might not be a PNP switch on the transmission. I think they use the ****er indicator panel as the PNP switch.

Between you and your husband look through the wiring diagram and see what you can come up with.
http://www.volvotechinfo.com/WD123/

Hopefully the diagram helps.