Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Wow, what a car! unfortunately few issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's looking great, a lot cleaner than under my bonnet.......damn country mud driving.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool...another update...not many pictures for this one though...

soo...thanks to RSPI (once again, HUGE THANKS!)
i got a present from the states!!!

optional rear speakers i didn't get...but really wanted :P
(still need to mount them, been a bit lazy, but WEATHER IS AWESOME! so...soon)

Volvo OE PCV replacement kit from IPD...

New actual LEATHER gearknob, not worried about it being grey, because it matches the steering wheel and handbrake lever better!

also...hello hidden boost gauge :P (light is wired up to the glovebox light, so it's only on, when the glovebox is open...

mmm...new...and it's very awesome...

Not to mention new bosch distributor cap, bosch rotor button, bosch platinum plugs, aluminium radiator and intercooler...

Also, not in the photos because not yet in use... IPD 8mm leads, MSD 6A ignition, uhh...and probably some other stuff, but i can't remember...

So, car is now back on the road, boost is set to 10.5psi in all gears, no more 4.5 in first...
and
It
Is
GREAT!
went to the drags on friday night (a couple weeks back...), i really need to launch the car better and get some better tyres, with wheel spin in first and chirping second best for the night was a 14.075 with a pretty average 60ft time around 2.2
and that was fully loaded still, less weight, better tyres, i want a 13!

mind you, both my other boosted cars (the green skyline and that crazy red pulsar) were both much quicker (low 13's and low 12's respectively...)

so maybe a few more little mods...and a tune...but this is much more comfortable

Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 AM

Yeah the car is really looking just awesome. So, is your problem get fixed or not..hmm I will suggest you to look for any mechanic for fix the problem.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, you got a lot done. Awesome! I must say that seeing that new shifter **** made me want a stick.

And you are welcome, anytime.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Man, you got a lot done. Awesome! I must say that seeing that new shifter **** made me want a stick.

And you are welcome, anytime.
after owning a manual...i hate with a huge passion the IAC valve...it just ruins all your shifts as soon as you start getting into the rev range...
disconnected you can shift beautifully, but the idle is craptastic...
so, that's why im going to go a TurboTuner ECU, they have some control over the idle (not much, but it should be enough to drop it 200-300 rpm to around 700 at idle when warm, and raise it enough when cold) that i can do away with the IAC valve...or i may look at an electric switch method so when i depress the clutch pedal, it turns the power to the IAC valve off, making for a nice shift (as it won't hold the revs up) but allow the car to run normally (for the most part) otherwise...

More will be done tomorrow! rear speakers, PCV system and NA intake!
and more cleaning :P

Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM

ok, because im terrible at sleeping at it's 2:42AM here...i decided to strip down the NA intake manifold i got from the wreckers...not knowing of Volvo's V-Vis system...
So, my manifold has V-vis...now, im removing all the little flaps and basically making it into what i think just a standard manifold would be like...

Does anyone have any information or light they can shine on this topic? is it ok to use a V-vis manifold with all the flaps etc...removed? or should i try and find a non V-Vis intake manifold...

Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM

If you've tuned it and are still getting poor mileage, I'd put in a new air filter, clean the MAF sensor (you MUST use a spray specifically for this... do not use any other cleaner), and if this doesn't clear it up, I'd replace the cooling temp sensor mounted on the thermostat housing. The computer uses this sensor reading to affect the injector pulse rate for cold start. Although mine was NOT throwing a code, it seemed to constantly read cool, even after the engine warmed up. If you have a code reader that pulls live data (about $125 U.S.), you can see what the sensor is registering. Mine didn't go above abovet 175F degrees, even at highway speeds. Changing the sensor fixed my problem!

J.C.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Administrator

For some reason his OBD-II port is not working.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM

Has, New K&N filter, new MAF as of about 1-2 years ago (have the receipt, volvo OEM)
and the temp sensor isn't a bad idea i guess...don't know when it was last changed, will have to go through all the receipts and find out...

economy is lower on my list of things to fix/improve...currently im working on the IAC Valve...i want smooth shifts when im giving it the beans! none of this rev holding crap!!!

and yeah, OBD port is also high on the list...i think i may do some more OBD related purchases...new scanner and the such...

Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Make sure it can be scanned by a garage before you get, yet another scanner. Check fuses and what not.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM

Well, it's been quite from me for a while, guess i've just been enjoying the car...perhaps a little too much, whenever i start to enjoy it, things break!

onto the good stuff anyway...

tried some new wheels...
17x8.5 +30 Rays TE37's...
not a fan...
so, not going to use them...maybe if they were gunmetal...but, meh...

Finally installed the HDD unit...but, ran into a new problem, FREAKIN STEREO ALTERNATOR WHINE!!!

Now, bad stuff,
Heater core has started leaking recently, so i ordered a new one from
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
lifetime warranty from leakage...so i figured, why not...give it a go.

and then more recently (thursday night) front engine mount packed it in...
to say i'm unhappy is such a HUGE understatement...
i've got a dyno day on saturday, so hopefully it won't be too detrimental to the cars well being to do 3 power runs

but to make up for it, order from IPD was placed...
Front Engine Mount
Rear Engine Mount
Engine Mount - Right
HD Front Subframe Bushing
Polyurethane Transmission Torque Mount Bushing - Hard

oh, i also bought a Nissan Z31 300ZX manual Turbo...

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM

well...dyno day went well, i guess...not sure if i should be completely happy with the output, but, seat of the pants says i've got more then the car put out...anyway

after three runs, i got an average of 155 fwkw...but only on 9.5psi of boost and with an exhaust leak (apparently...)

and the exhaust was a little smokey when the car came off...think the turbo is getting a little bit tired....

but torque curve and boost etc was all beautiful and smooth...so, now im thinking cams, new turbo/manifold (swap out to a T3 manifold and something like a GT2860RS) get the EBC working properly and a Turbotuner ECU from the UK....and then just leave it and focus on the rest of the suspension and brakes etc...

also got my new custom upper torque mount/engine mount bushes in...DAMN THEY'RE STIFF! solid piece of polyurethane...so, i'm going to remove them get some reliefs drilled into them to hopefully soften them up...
but hopefully the vibrations wont be so bad once the rest of the engine bay bushes are replaced and all new

so...time for some long due pictures!

oh, and i also bought a turbo Z31 300ZX targa top for summer...just needs some (lots) of work to get it up to standard...