Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

What are you all using for iPod connectivity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are you all using for iPod connectivity?

As much as I love a 3-disc changer (sigh), I'd much rather have my entire library at my disposal. Any good interfaces you all have experience with? I am not a fan of FM transmitters, I was hoping for a direct connect option. Any thoughts?

BTW, specifically, I'm referring to something compatible with the SC-901 system.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by willseph
As much as I love a 3-disc changer (sigh), I'd much rather have my entire library at my disposal. Any good interfaces you all have experience with? I am not a fan of FM transmitters, I was hoping for a direct connect option. Any thoughts?

BTW, specifically, I'm referring to something compatible with the SC-901 system.
Have used the USASpec HON PA-10 for years with good results. Newer version is the PA-11 with that has a firmware update, but mine has been just fine. You can tend to snag them for about $50 if you look for a good deal, but full retail is IIRC $179.99. The VOL PA-11 is used for other radio models, but the 900/901 I would stick with the Honda version(it is specified to use their specific cable for 99 and older models, but I'm not entirely convinced it is needed with our specific radio, just never tested it out). Just specify if you want the newer dock cord to charge the 2nd Gen iPod touch, 3GS, and 4G phones. Otherwise the older cord will work, but not charge. They are not the only company, but their adapters have been around for years and work well.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mkc70
Have used the USASpec HON PA-10 for years with good results. Newer version is the PA-11 with that has a firmware update, but mine has been just fine. You can tend to snag them for about $50 if you look for a good deal, but full retail is IIRC $179.99. The VOL PA-11 is used for other radio models, but the 900/901 I would stick with the Honda version(it is specified to use their specific cable for 99 and older models, but I'm not entirely convinced it is needed with our specific radio, just never tested it out). Just specify if you want the newer dock cord to charge the 2nd Gen iPod touch, 3GS, and 4G phones. Otherwise the older cord will work, but not charge. They are not the only company, but their adapters have been around for years and work well.
Thanks for the reply! Let me see if I'm understanding correctly. I need to buy the USA Spec Interface (the white box dealy) as well as the cable to connect the interface to my stereo. Right?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the reply! Let me see if I'm understanding correctly. I need to buy the USA Spec Interface (the white box dealy) as well as the cable to connect the interface to my stereo. Right?
Cable comes with the unit unless you are specifying the add on cable for 2000 and older Volvo's(might be 99's). This however seems unneeded at least to me since the 901 is the same for all Gen1 C70's barring supposed software updating. Unit includes the box, iPod cable, and cable to plug into the changer port on the back.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Good deal, thanks a ton for the info! I'll order it up this week.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Good deal, thanks a ton for the info! I'll order it up this week.
Before you pull the trigger you may consider other brands. The USASpec model will give you iPod+Aux input via RCA's. This will allow a direct connection of some sort for another source. GROM makes a similar adapter only theirs instead of an Aux input you get a USB port. This will allow music storage with a flash drive. Something to consider. They also feature a 3.5mm connection. Gonna order one and try it out.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by adimarten23
If you use the USASPEC, you will lose your XM2 selection (only have XM1). My wife likes different XM compared to me and we have the share 3 pre-sets between us on XM1 compared to having 6 each before.
No he won't. Gen 1 C70's are different and do not even have an XM option. Newer models requiring a PA-15 model it typically takes the place of the XM band for iPod functionality. Good post, but not valid to the OP's question.