Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC40 No Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Apple CarPlay

I just downloaded latest Volvo software for P8 recharge and I still don’t have Apple car play . I have looked and read everywhere online and still don’t have any Apple car play. I’ve used USB, connect wifi via my hotspot , but to no avail.
how do I get Apple CarPlay for xc40 P8??
cheers

Old 07-11-2021, 09:05 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

You can do a search in the manual. If all else fails, try the Volvo On Call button in your overhead and they can help you. Or just call your salesperson.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my car about 10 days ago and was told that CarPlay will not be available until later this year via a software update.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cincymark
I picked up my car about 10 days ago and was told that CarPlay will not be available until later this year via a software update.
I thought it was, from conversation at the dealership, maybe I was wrong. I know it is available on my '21 XC60 T8 but can't check it, I have a 'droid. Have you tried pairing your phone to your car? I know to use the Google apps, I have to plug mine into the car via USB. Not sure about Apple tho. If your dealer didn't pair it for you shame on them. It's part of what they should do on delivery. But you should be able to do it yourself.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:26 PM

I think we may be talking about different things. My iPhone paired seamlessly with the Android Automotive OS and phone functionality and Bluetooth streaming have been excellent. Apple CarPlay is something different, allowing access to many of the apps on an iPhone via the touch interface of the car. That feature was promised as part of the original feature package but as yet, is unavailable and not being promised until later in 2021 via onair update.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:28 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincymark
I think we may be talking about different things. My iPhone paired seamlessly with the Android Automotive OS and phone functionality and Bluetooth streaming have been excellent. Apple CarPlay is something different, allowing access to many of the apps on an iPhone via the touch interface of the car. That feature was promised as part of the original feature package but as yet, is unavailable and not being promised until later in 2021 via onair update.
Dang, another negative then. My wife won't be happy about this on our P8! She depends on Apple CarPlay. I guess she will have to use the built-in Google navigation. Oh boy... I'm an android guy so it's not an issue for me.... but if it's an issue for my wife... it most definitely is an issue for me!

Old 07-16-2021, 10:56 AM

For what it's worth, I'm finding Google Maps as my navigation option to be a real plus. And so far, I'm not missing CarPlay at all, although it will be nice when it becomes available supposedly later this year. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Falcon73 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you. I hope the Boss can live with it too!

Old 07-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon73
Thank you. I hope the Boss can live with it too!
FWIW, once you get your Apple car play hooked up you might still like the standard better. When I hook up Android play by plugging the phone in, I do get the other apps including Waze but the map screen is much smaller. With the standard Google maps you still get your traffic which is nice. And when I turned on the built in modem for WiFi, my phone reception improved. Anyway, I don't even use any of the phone apps that are available.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when was your car built? In 2021 they had early 2021 and later 2021. Not sure but I think September 2020 was the change.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

PS that was for the XC 90, not sure on the XC 60

Old 09-24-2021, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count us in as another household that dearly misses CarPlay on our XC40 Recharge. If the Recharge weren't so dang fun to drive, I think my husband would be stealing my V60 most days.

Very recently, Polestar 2 owners started getting this email (saw a discussion about it on a Polestar forum). One would assume that the Polestar 2's sibling, the XC40 Recharge, is going to suffer from the same setback (I do wonder if we are going to get the same extended data perk though).

We regret to inform you that there are further delays to the availability of Apple CarPlay for your Polestar 2. Due to various factors, not all of which are in our control, we now expect this feature to be available in spring 2022. When it releases, Apple CarPlay will be available in the car via a cable connection.  

We understand this is frustrating. To thank you for your patience we’ll extend your car’s standard connectivity to 6 years, from the 3 years that is currently offered. The additional 3 years of connectivity will automatically kick in after the first 3 years.   

More information on the functionality, and how it works, will be communicated in our channels when it is released.

Regards,
Polestar

The following users liked this post:
yaromac (10-04-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 06:53 PM

On top of there being no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, the built in Google Maps are dependent on a digital services subscription. As per Volvo website, this is included for 4 years and beyond that you have to pay an undisclosed amount or forfeit Google Maps and Google Play functionality.

As someone about to pull the trigger on this vehicle, I am very concerned they will ask a ransom price to have navigation functionality (a requirement IMO). Locking out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto gives Volvo more leverage to charge a high (yet to be disclosed) price.

This is troubling enough for me to look at other manufactures.

Last edited by NYBig; 11-23-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon73
Dang, another negative then. My wife won't be happy about this on our P8! She depends on Apple CarPlay. I guess she will have to use the built-in Google navigation. Oh boy... I'm an Android guy so it's not an issue for me.... but if it's an issue for my wife... it most definitely is an issue for me!
I know this is a year old.....but I feel your pain with the wife. My wife and I are both iPhone users (after 15 years of Android). I was disappointed that as amazing as this car XC40 Recharge) is, it didn't already have Apple CarPlay installed. My wife and I have had heated arguments about it as well. The dealer was pretty much useless...I finally have to take it in and demand that someone sit with me and show me how to program the FOBs and accounts. The android system really does SUCK. I hope the update is released to my car soon.