Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Cleaning sun roof drains S-40 2006

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning sun roof drains S-40 2006

The front and rear left side foot wells are wet after a rain, Which I suspect that the roof drains are clogged. I have read on the forums that the drains are in the A pillar, which I suspect is the pillar at the front door opening. Where are the rear drains? Are they at the middle pillar "B" Pillar? or are they at the rear pillar behind he rear seat? Where do the drains end and come through the frame? Any help or pictures would be appreciated. Does anybody have any good tricks to clean these without having to take the interior pillar moldings apart?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never heard of rear drains, only the front ones. Although I could not find specific pictures in my search, I have seen them in the past. Once you remove the A pillar the drain line is right there. The plastic elbow at the bottom of the A pillar has an X opening instead of a simple round hole. This is what traps leaves and such. You have to remove the A pillar molding to access the drain. The molding just pops out with a stiff pull.

Cleaning is either to blow out the debris with the drain in place or remove it and open the clog (and X) to allow bits to not get clogged in the future. (or not clog as quickly)

Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks, there are rear drains I can see the drain holes but they are difficult to get to. Is it possible that the rear drains - drain down through the center pillar where the side air bag is ?I have checked under the rear seat for wet areas when the rear floor was wet but the area under the rear passenger seat was dry, so that leads me to think the rear drains snake forward to the center pillar and then drain down from there. still need someone that can provide some pictures if anyone has them.

Thnaks

Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM

As a follow up, I found the front left (driver side drain clogged. I Pulled the "A" pillar interior plastic cover off and found the drain hose loose at the dash board. I was able to rig up a 1/8" dia Tygon hose to my air compressor abd I stuck it into the small hose at the dash and blew out the clog at the end of the drain. I then bought a piece of Tygon hose 5/8" OD and spliced a 3" piece into the drain line hose by cutting it about 6" from the end. This allowed my to insert the 1/2" drain hose further down into the drain end at the dash. I also added water at the sun roof drain to check that he drains worked. The rear drain hose drains down behind the wheel well cover behind the left rear wheel and it drains somewhere just in front of the right rear bumper in the right rear drain. SO I checked all 4 drains to make sure they all drain well. BTW I was able to see the rear drain hoses but could not access them as they snake down through the rear of the roof at the "C" pillar.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM

VIDA shows the rear drains exiting somewhere under the taillights. But I couldn't find them. Were you able to see the exit points of these drains in the rear?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Smile Roof drains

I don't remember where they drain but What I did was pour some water in the drain channel and blocked the water from going forward and then watched where the water drained out the back. I recall it was somewhere above the fender well I think.. I did this to verify that they were draining.. BTW since cleaning the front drains out, I've had no further problems. I did add about 3" of hose to each from drain so that there was no possible chance that the hoses could come apart.. The front hoses are behind the front "A" pillars between the windshield and the door.. I did dry and use an air compressor hose with a low pressure nozzle to clean them out.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 AM

I found them. Thx.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof drain testing and cleaning

I may be late on this subject but wanted to add some information.

There are 4 holes in the sunroof tray. Each hole has an independent drain that you will see drip out over or near each wheel on the vehicle.

You can independently test each with a bottle of water paying attention to the slope and angle of the vehicle.

The rear drains are often unable to be seen and are also less likely to be clogged. If they do not drain this could require having to drop the headliner to access the tubes that connect to the sunroof tray.

If the front drains are clogged, you can sometimes remedy the problem by removing visible debris and blowing them out with compressed air.

In some cases the drain tubes can come separated from the pan resulting in a clear drain hole, but an instant water leak. This would require removal of the interior and possible replacement parts.

The easiest fix is when you see the debris, vacuum or remove it, and blow out the drain holes. This works in most situations on almost every make and model.