Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Drive Axle Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Axle Leak

Last week, I replaced the CV axles on my P1 Volvo.
T5 Engine, M66 transmission.

After a fight, I removed the LH cv axle, reinstalled it, reassmebled everything. Then I drained the remaining gear oil and refilled it with Redline MTL.
Oil began pouring out at the axle.

I ordered a new axle seal from FCPEuro and installed it.
And when I refilled it, it still poured out, like an open faucet.

I was trying to save time, so I bought Duralast Gold New CV axles. They were available the next day, FCP would have taken about a week. In hindsight, Ive been struggling with this for over a week, so this has been a disaster.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

I can only guess that one of two things has happened here...

1) The axle seal you got isn't the right one, or
2) The installation of the seal and/or axle went wonky and damaged the new seal the same way the original one was damaged (they're really not hard at all to damage). It can be pretty difficult to simultaneously get the heavy, awkward axle lined up with the axle seal, and then gently and accurately guide in the new axle without nicking or tearing the fragile seal. I'd suggest ordering another seal, and take a lot of care pressing it in, making absolutely sure it's square, and then put a schmear of tranny fluid around the seal to enable the axle to slide in easier. Take your time, get in a good position to control everything, then gently insert and slide in the axle end, and hope for the best.

I had one of these seals fail on me in the middle of a LONG road trip, and I ended up swapping it in an abandoned parking lot with tools and parts from the (thankfully) local Autozone. I didn't have a puller, and ended up just pressing the new seal in on top of the old one. Seemed to work like a champ, and got me going! ;-)

Old 08-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To book end this thread, I hadn't fully seated the LH axle.
It took a tremendous force to drive that axle in.

Fast forward to today, while doing the struts, I decided I'd replace the lifetime warranty axle as I always heard a little noise out of it.
I've spent four days unable to remove it. Pry bars, crow bars, slide hammers, axle poppers-- nothing.

I've tried to buy the OEM Volvo tool for it, but it's not available anywhere.
I'm going to try the vice grip/slide hammer approach tomorrow and possibly the "Axle Popper II" on the impact hammer after that.

If the volvo part is still unavailable, I guess I'll have to have it towed. Perhaps on a high left, a mechanic will have the access and leverage I don't have on jackstands in the grass.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:05 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

I remember my LH axle being tight, which is going to be a function of the little lock-ring that is installed on the groove near the inside end of the axle (just past the splines). IIRC, I had trouble getting my aftermarket axle in, and swapped out the aftermarket lock-ring with the factory lock-ring off the old axle, and had no more problem.

In your case, I can only suggest "using a bigger hammer". ;-) If you have a helper, I'd have him or her heave on the biggest pry-bar you can get into the space between the axle and tranny, and then give the axle a pop from the tranny side using a chisel / prybar and hammer. The combination of static and dynamic violence should free it up. Then, before installing that new axle, take the lock-ring off and compress it a little so that it's not floating around MUCH larger than the diameter of the groove it lives in.