Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Heater hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 02:41 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Ut4life58
Still waiting on my crank holding tool today so I can try and get this timing on and bolt the valve/cam cover back down. Timing is off so bad right now that the cams won't even sit down enough to bolt it up.
My 2 shops did hundreds of timing belts, (on those 4,5,6 cylinder engines) and maybe a hundred valve/cylinder head jobs, and many many leaking VVT/front seals - we never used a crank holding tool. I don't own one. We did always use (when needed) the cam cover installation tools - the ones that screw into the spark plug holes and push the cover down evenly, and the cam alignment tool.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoonk
My 2 shops did hundreds of timing belts, (on those 4,5,6 cylinder engines) and maybe a hundred valve/cylinder head jobs, and many many leaking VVT/front seals - we never used a crank holding tool. I don't own one. We did always use (when needed) the cam cover installation tools - the ones that screw into the spark plug holes and push the cover down evenly, and the cam alignment tool.
If I had a compressor to run off of I prob could have got it. My electric impact only hits 145 lbs and that wasn't getting it. I got it off today but had to lay down and get some sleep before coming in for my night shift. I'm as shade tree as they come and really hoping I can get this timing figured out. Since your shop has done so many maybe you could help me out...so after getting my crank pulley off I need to take the timing belt off and line the crank mark up right? Then go up and put the cams in and top plastic cover to line them up? I seen some videos after that where they went in a certain order and the cover pulled down nicely. But do you recommend I get the tools to pull it through the spark plug holes? Any help would be much appreciated man.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Ut4life58
Then go up and put the cams in and top plastic cover to line them up?
You will need to have a cam locking tool like this one - to be able to reattach the VVT cam Gear/s and keep the cams in the correct position.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cams

Originally Posted by hoonk
You will need to have a cam locking tool like this one - to be able to reattach the VVT cam Gear/s and keep the cams in the correct position.
first off thank you for your help buddy. Also I want to correct myself. Not taking the timing belt off. Just the pulley to see behind it and line the marks up. I got the nut off yesterday before having to get some sleep before my night shift. Today I got a pulley puller set but didn't have time to get to wrenching in it. My understanding of the tool pic you sent was if you have the sprocket off the cam shaft. Am I wrong with this. My problem is the cams right now when put in place off 2 lobes on each shaft hitting the valve followers and not allowing it to sit down all the way. So I'm concerned about trying to pull the cam cover down on them like that. Once I have my marks on the crank lined up is this tool what I need to do that or is that for the cam sprockets? Thank you again for your help.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudini
They seem to weld themselves in place. I got one of mine free but broke the other. I agree with you about the need for simplicity. Although in this case it seems the function is mainly to ease the connection during assembly.

The only saving grace is that the cost of 2 new hoses is not terribly expensive. The bonus is you can then see exactly how the fitting works.
IM having trouble with couplings/hose (the black brackets on the firewall) of my Volvo I don't know how to take this off been trying little methods ! Is there way without breaking it ? Please help working on this right now