Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Help Identifying Filter for AC leak Near Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Identifying Filter for AC leak Near Heater Core

I have a 2004.5 which has an A/C leak. I've pulled the carpet on the passenger side and checked that the rubber drain is not clogged and that the drain to the ground is open. The leak appears to be coming from the bottom of the plastic cover shown in the picture below (borrowed from another forum). The leak appears to be water, not coolant. I've removed two of the screws from the cover (but can't get it off as there appears to be another screw higher up that is inaccesible). I can look behind the cover and there appears to be a soaked filter on the other side. I believe that the cover is the cover to the evaporator core. The ac blows cold so I don't think the refrigerant is leaking. Could the evaporative core drain be blocked and if so, how can it be unblocked? I already tried pushing some weed-whacker cord up from the rubber drain and the passage seemed to be clear.

When I run A/C the leak shows up immediately. If a/C is off there is no leak. And there is no leak if I run the heater. so if makes sense that it is the evaporative core that is location of the problem here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ps. I'll add that I cleaned and changed the cabin air filter. It was fairly clean so that shouldn't be part of the cause.

Last edited by pmondrian67; 08-23-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

if you are not refilling coolant, its not the heater core and any AC refridgerant would boil off at room temp. Sounds like your assumption about the condensation around the evaporator is correct and its is not fining its way down the drain port or the drain is clogged. Did you try blowing air up the tubes?