Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

maintenance/warranty question! new volvo owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance/warranty question! new volvo owner

Hi all,
New to the forum here.Recently purchasedan 06 s40 2.4i

I was planning on doing all of the scheduled Volvo maintenance, but recently was told that it will cost me AT LEAST $500 each time I go in. I commute to work so I rack up miles pretty quickly. I can't be spending 500-600 every few months. But I was told that I have to do each scheduled maintenance or else it will void my warranty....Is this true?

What constitutes voiding my volvo warranty? I called a dealership but of course they want me to spend the money on the maintenance so I want to ask someone who won't try to scam me....what maintenance am i required to get to keep my warranty etc..

Also how much does it really cost to get the maintenance? Does anyone have an AVERAGE of what it will cost? I had a pretty hard time finding this info before I bought the car and still cant find the info....Can I get my oil changed elsewhere? Can I do anything myself?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Default RE: maintenance/warranty question! new volvo owner

Welcome!

I think we have the same car and the same concerns. My "service soon" light came on and when I called the dealer concerning the 15K service, I was informed that it would cost >$300!!! Checking the manual, I discovered that this service is basically a glorified oil change!!! Well, they do change out the cabin filter, but that's really it.

Sadly, I think they have us by the short hairs. And Volvo will quickly void a warranty if it feels justified: unbeknownst to me when I bought my '06 last August, the previous owner messed up his fuel system with bad gas ... and Volvo has for-ever voided the new car warranty on MY CAR that concerns the fuel system and its components. GRRRRRRRR.

Needless to say, I'm more careful with the rest of the car that is still under factory warranty. It's kind of like an insurance policy, I guess.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Default RE: maintenance/warranty question! new volvo owner

Hey Guys,

$500 each time is pretty much false. The 7.500k intervals are usually about $280 to $300 that consists of oil change, replace cabin filter, check brakes, fluids, rotate & balance tires, etc. The 30k intervals are usually around $600 that's a complete tune-up. What I recommend doing is getting the maintenance performed at the dealership, but break down the items. For example oil change $45 to $50 , cabin filter $80 , rotate & balance $40. That way its not so much and look for coupons most dealerships do not want to loose your business and they will honor competitor coupons. By doing this the dealer has a record of you performing regular maintenance on your vehicle. Also I highly recommend looking into a extended warranty.