Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

new owner looking for advice and help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner looking for advice and help

Hello,

I bought a 2002 S40 about four months ago now and I've read some really good reviews and some pretty bad reviews. I was wondering if anyone had any info on common problems with this model and any recomendations. Also, I already have two issues that I was hoping someone could help with.

1. Sometimes when I use the cruise control it will just stop working and will not engage again until after I have turned the car off.

2. Last night on my way home from work, the "check engine" light came on but the car seems to be running the same. I took it to Auto Zone and they hooked up their computer to it and the code states "The PCM has determined that the input from the coolant temperature sensor indicates a temperature value that is below the thermostat regulating temperature" probable causes were 1. low coolant level (checked and filled, light still on) 2. thermostat defective and 3. ECT (engine coolant thermostat) sensor defective.

Please someone help! any help, advise, photos of where these parts are located on the car would be most appreciated. I bought the car "As Is" and have no warranty and am afraid this is going to end up costing me a lot.

Thanks in advace!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: new owner looking for advice and help

This post has been moved from New Members Area. Notified the original poster.

JPN

Old 12-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

On mine problem #2 was fixed with a new thermostat. Very simple to replace and inexpensive if you do it yourself.

Problem #1 I have not run across yet.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 AM

I had the same issue with my 02 V70 cruise control. Dealer fixed it, saying one of the antilock sensors was bad. It was giving a signal that brakes were being applied and disengaging cruise control. He said there are a total of 7 systems that feed info to cruise control and any 1 can effect it. Probably same or close for yours.

With the coolant temp, I agree with Hudini. Most of the time, it is the thermostat. Mostly, they just go bad, but I have also noticed there are a few out there with lower temperature settings. I replaced mine, 2000 S40, with the highest I could find. 92 degree. It has not thrown a code since. $11 and 20 minutes of my time was all it cost, by far the CHEAPEST repair I have had with my Volvos. Remember to get the gasket if it doesn't come with it. Start with that before you replace the sensor, about $50 but very easy to replace also. I believe that the code will not go away on its own, you will need to have it cleared or buy a scanner to do it yourself.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 AM

there is a great how to under S40concepts.net. Changing the thermostat is very simple, and more than likely will fix the check engine light. As far as the cruise, I would have the stealership check it out, sounds like something electrical. Just make sure with your S40 that you change the oil when needed. Also, leave time when starting the car and when turning the car off fo rthe turbo to cool off before you shut down. Hope you have fun with your S40. I love the car and have a lot of fun times with it.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM

I agree that the thermostat should solve the issue (It did on mine). I also have the same problem with my cruise control, but haven't fixed that yet. I am also experiencing the starting problems now, but, as the other posts say, the new fuel pressure regualtor should take care of it.

Overall, s40 is a lot's of fun toy. Enjoy!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 PM

I'm on my 3rd Volvo. Your 2002 was the same car the police said saved my life. However, while it was heaven sent I did encounter some of the same problems. I know some might disagree and others will agree but a few things to watch out for with the 2002 S40 are as followed:

1. heated seats that even when programmed, never turn off

2. extremely soft wheels that bend easily cause wheel vibration (still a problem with volvo, so much so that they did not fix it, they just offer a wheel replacement plan if you choose to pay for it).

3. Rear brakes wear extremely fast (then again I live in New Jersey so i drive with 100,000 other cars regardless of whether it is 5 am or 5 pm), but none the less others have had constant brake wear and tear problems with that model and year. Keep in mind depending on where you live, and the standard of living, a rear brake job can cost over $200...so DO NOT LET THE SPECIALTY ROTORS WEAR, it is where volvo makes all their money off of you by having to buy new rotors.

4. Headlights and tail lights constantly blow out. Just look at your cars that others are driving they have the same problem. Thank god they fixed it, the 2002 needed expensive bulbs.

5. That middle console is very easy to put your elbow through and never be the same again. It looks bad to keep it open, so just remember it's not titanium, it's a piece of flexible plastic.

6. Finally, never have i ever seen a car blow out so much carbon from the turbo. Dealer said it's common with the s40 and once again just look at other fellow 2002 S40 drivers and you will see the same problem.

If you really want to avoid all of this, invest in a new S40. They are quite nice. I hope some of this helps you. While I am no mechanic I have driven 3 Volvos and this was my expereince (as well as a buddy of mine and some others I know) problems with the 2002 S40.