Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Random starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random starting issue

Hi Gang: I have a problem with my 2000 V40. Every once in a while it won't start and the gearshift is locked in park. Although it happens only once a week or so, it happened twice in the last couple of days. If I let it sit for 5 or ten minutes it does start. I initially thought it had something to do with the mechanical release button near the shifter. There is an eletromagnet underneath the button that I suspected had something to do with it. Anyone ever run into this problem, or can one of you suggest where to look? Thanks as always. Bill

Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

the shifter button on these cars can get stuck pressed in - usually resulting in not being able to remove the key (until you manually pull the button out. you can spray in some lube but it may be the hinge has cracked or broken and requires a replacement. Dunno about any electromagnets up there
shows how to repair/replace the button if you find it to be broken. Try spraying some Fluid Film or similar lubricant around the edges of the button to lube up. I'm also wondering if your PNP switch has some corrosion on the contacts. The quick fix is a "shifter row" (go from Park to Lo to Park 10-20x fast usually scuffs up the contacts enough).

Old 12-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify what I described earlier in my post, when the car does it's seemingly random non start issue, everything is locked up. The key does turn to all positions but the shifter is frozen in park and the manual release button does not unfreeze the shifter. That's what suggested to me that the manual release button had something to do with the problem. Taking the cover off to get below the shift **** and arm made me realize how that button worked. It drives a plastic wedge between an electro magnet. I hypothcised that the magnet was the source of the problem in that in five or ten minutes(the length of time the car doesn't start) it loses it's charge and allows the contacts to open. I now doubt this hypothesis. I will, as suggested, try lubing up the shifter switch and doing a row shift.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

further on the PNP sensor - its looped into the starter circuit to keep you from engaging the starter motor while the transmission is in gear so that if the shifter is not firmly in park (at least from the perspective of the PNP) you will get nada when you turn the key to position 3. With that said, I'd have to do a simple experiment here to see if the car will start if the shifter release button is pressed in. Given your manual release button doesn't seem to work either, sounds like you're on the right track looking into the shifter linkage and the PNP switch itself. I found this vid, but didn't watch it yet to see if there's any insights regarding repairing the shifter itself. You may be able to search for other posts or vid on replacing the shifter or shifter blind to get some addition insights.

Last edited by mt6127; 12-23-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:32 AM

You know, I love this site!!!! I am so appreciative of your help, always!!!! "Onward into the fog"