Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Steering Problem

Ok,
2000 S40 has been aligned 4 times in last year and a half. Went through a set of tires in only 13K miles because car is not running straight... Car was bought with 47K miles as a certified pre-owned Volvo vehicle from Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, VA. While traveling any speed on a flat straightaway, if you release your hands from the wheel for a few seconds, the car will drift/pull off to the left. This necessitates holding the wheel with a stiff arm while driving down the road in order to keep the vehicle moving straight. Also, if you turn the wheel 15 degrees to the left in say a parking lot while going 10 mph and let go of the wheel, the wheel stays turned in place and the car keeps turning. Conversely, if you turn the wheel 15 degrees to the right while going 10 mph and then let go of the wheel, the wheel snaps back to the center and then the car begins to drift to the left again. What gives here? We've had the Falls Churchg Volvo dealership align the car recently and even took it back... even test drove it with their technician who says there's nothing wrong with it and told us we shouldn't take our hands off the wheel while driving! He postured that the road surface causes the car to drift to the left!!! That was it, they adjusted a toe setting on the right tire and sent us on our way without a solution. I'm extremely unhappy at this point. I'm not a child and don't like being treated like one. It was their 4th and final chance to listen to me and try to solve this problem. I'm taking the car to another Volvo dealership in the same Don Beyer Automotive Group to try and get some resolution tomorrow morning. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!! Thank you in advance for your help!!!!

Oh, and if the dealer can't fix this problem tomorrow, I'm buying a new Corolla on Saturday. I've sunk a lot of money into this car it will pain me to lose it... it's fun to drive and fun to look at, but on the whole, I don't think that Volvo's are what they used to be. My honest feeling is that this car is a real POS.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S40 Steering Problem

I just joined this group so I could reply to your message. I too am having similiar problems. I've owned the car for only a couple of months, I have not as yet brought my car to the dealership. 2005 S40. NEW. What became of your problem/car? I see others too on another forum with the steering and pulling problems . . . ? Thank you for your reply.

Tonya

Old 03-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: S40 Steering Problem

I have seen a couple of steering problems on 2004.5 and 2005 S40's.There was some problems with the steering pump.the steering system is all electrical.