Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Vibration Issues with my 2001 S40

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration Issues with my 2001 S40

Hi All,

I have been having issues with my 2001 S40 vibrating while accelerating at high speeds (60+ MPH) if I stop accelerating the vibration seems to mitigate itself. I took the car to a mechanic and they said the front axle needs to be replaced but could not pinpoint which side. I had to replace the front right rotor a few months back because it was warped so my gut is telling me it is probably the front right axle (if it is even the axle). Since it is probable going to run my over $500 to fix, I was wondering anyone had the same issue and it was resolved with the axle fix and/or how to figure out which axle is bad. The vibration is intense and the whole car shakes so I really can't tell which side it is coming from.

Also, can the timing belt be easily inspected? I was told it needed replacing though the car only has 80k miles, it is 12 yrs old so they said the belt is cracking and given that it is an interference timing belt I'm assuming it would be much less costly to replace than for it to break and damage the pistons... Is this correct or am I totally off base here?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The interval on the timing belt is either 100K or 8 years so yes replace it ASAP.Also replace the waterpump.On the vibration issue you are having.It seems you should replace both axle.the passenger side gives a wobbling effect but the driver side will produce vibration.i recon you are experiencing both.
Still have to mention that some serious amount of rust can built up on the hub behind the rotor.You say the rotor was replaced but did the mech clean the hub completely?If not then the rotor will not sit straight hence the vibration.My take is the passanger side axle for sure then possible rust built up on the hub.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sail29
I have been having issues with my 2001 S40 vibrating while accelerating at high speeds (60+ MPH) if I stop accelerating the vibration seems to mitigate itself. I took the car to a mechanic and they said the front axle needs to be replaced but could not pinpoint which side.
Typical lazy parts swappers. They want to sell you some Chinesium axles.

At 80K miles I doubt the problem is the drive axles unless you have a split boot.

I had a similar problem with my 2000 V40 when I acquired it earlier this year. Vibration at highway speeds. I also took a good hard look at both drive axles which both have some slop at the inner joints.

But....I decided to start with the basics and after replacing two bent rims and ditching the Continental tires and installing Michelin Primacies the vibration was 99% gone. And this was AFTER having all the existing wheels balanced. A wheel can appear to balance but still cause vibration problems if the rim is bent or the tire has some hidden internal structural failure. If it ain't Michelin, get it off your car.

If you do install new drive axles, do NOT install Chinese axles. Volvo OEM or a high quality rebuild. I'd normally recommend raxles.com but they don't do axles for your car. Best source I found was axlesunlimitedinc.com.

Also check all your engine mounts. The rear mount on my V40 is quite soft but I haven't got around to replacing it yet.

Last edited by migbro; 12-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to add when there is imbalanced tires or bent wheel on the car the vibration tends to happen always or at certain speeds.The described scenario which when the vibration/wobbling happens it is always the axle.I do agree on the cheap axle which is just that.I do recommend OEM only new or used one from the wrecker.No aftermarket axle for me of any kind Chinese or other its all garbage..

Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I chased a vibration at speed for many months. I had the tires balanced and rotated, checked the motor mounts, brakes, axles, nothing worked. I finally had to replace the tires and just happened to find Michelins for cheap at Sam's Club. What a difference. The car was silky smooth at speed. I've only bought Michelins ever since.

I have experienced bad axles twice. Both times they made a clicking sound when turning.

Bad motor mounts tend to vibrate the car when stopped, foot on the brake, in Drive. The one exception was my 2005 S40 which had a completely broken pax side mount. It made a very loud metal-on-metal sound when accelerating. Took me months to find it. I even replaced the pax side axle thinking it could be there.

Let us know what you find please.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, I will have the timing belt replaced and I think I will start with the passenger side axle since I had a rotor vibration warp on that side already. I will let you know how the repairs work out but it will not be until the new year as I'm waiting to get paid at the end of the month before getting the repairs done (I don't need to drive the car until then so I figured it can sit for a bit rather than blast the credit card).

I don't have Michelin tires on the car, but the tires I do have aren't cheap tires so I'm guessing its most likely the axle. Plus the vibration feels like I'm a spoon getting tossed around in the garbage disposal so I think its a bit too intense for tire vibration...

I appreciate all the help!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sail29
Thanks for the input guys, I will have the timing belt replaced and I think I will start with the passenger side axle since I had a rotor vibration warp on that side already. I will let you know how the repairs work out but it will not be until the new year as I'm waiting to get paid at the end of the month before getting the repairs done (I don't need to drive the car until then so I figured it can sit for a bit rather than blast the credit card).

I don't have Michelin tires on the car, but the tires I do have aren't cheap tires so I'm guessing its most likely the axle. Plus the vibration feels like I'm a spoon getting tossed around in the garbage disposal so I think its a bit too intense for tire vibration...

I appreciate all the help!
Check back and let us know how your new Chinese axle works out.