Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers

I have an 2001 and am having some problems with the wipers. They don't seem to want to park in the itermittent position. You have to hold the lever in low or high speed for the wipers to work. In the intermittent position they don't work at all. I took thethe car to the dealer to have it checked out and they figured the problem was in the switch. Unfortunately I couldn't waitleave the car for another day. I was out of town when this happened and had to return as they didn't have the part in stock. I have sincebought a new wiper switch and installed it myself.The problem is still there. According to the dealer there was no fault in the ECU. They hooked it up to the computer to do the diagnosis. I am suspicous of a wiring problem. Ihave not located a good manual that will provide some good drawings. I was told that there are a few programs that you can use to talk to the ECU. I thinks its called VADAIS or somthing. Anyone know of a good manual or this software?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Wipers

I will tell you most likely what the problem is but it isn't cheap to fix.
It is the CEM (central electronic module).

I have see a bunch of them lately.
If you want a wiring diagram to look at look here.
http://www.volvotechinfo.com/WD123/

Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM

Well I am a little dissapointed in myself for not finding the problem. But I made the assumption that all the wiper circuits were tied together. After looking at the schematic diagram I realized that there was a separate fuse to supply the low/high speed position and the wash/intermittent wiper. So needless to say I have a spare wiper switch in my tool box now aswell as a bill from the dealer for a problem THEY should havefound. Thanks for the help and the link to the diagrams. As you can see they were a great help.

John

Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Glad I could help.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:59 AM

I'm having the exact same problem. What was the fix? The link to the diagrams didn't work for me.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Yes that was a Volvo site and Volvo closed it down.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a newer Volvo site or somewhere where their are diagrams avaialable?

Old 03-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Not that I am aware of. I wish there was. I need to install my new Air Fuel Ratio guage on my car and don't have the wiring diagram home so have to wait another week[:@]

Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Default Intermittent wipers stopped working...

Originally Posted by JohnHB
Well I am a little dissapointed in myself for not finding the problem. But I made the assumption that all the wiper circuits were tied together. After looking at the schematic diagram I realized that there was a separate fuse to supply the low/high speed position and the wash/intermittent wiper. So needless to say I have a spare wiper switch in my tool box now aswell as a bill from the dealer for a problem THEY should havefound. Thanks for the help and the link to the diagrams. As you can see they were a great help.

John
The above quote is a bit old, but I found it while searching due to having the same problem. My intermittent wipers worked just fine, but in the never-ending quest to make things 'better' I purchased an iPd "Smart" relay to allow for adjustable intermittent swipes. When I plugged in the new relay it buzzed as if shorting - the ignition was off and there should have been no power supplied to the relay. When I put the OEM relay back in since I was obviously going to have to call iPd to tell them the relay was bad my int. wipers no longer worked at all!

All along the regular wipers (2 speeds) work. BUT, when I turn the switch off the wipers stop where they were - no returning to the lower horizontal position?

I can only find a single fuse that references the wipers, but this post indicates there is a second fuse specifically for the intermittent. Can anyone tell me where I might find this fuse? I'm embarrassed to have to ask, but I'm stumped...

Thanks in advance.
Beau W.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Beau98
The above quote is a bit old, but I found it while searching due to having the same problem. My intermittent wipers worked just fine, but in the never-ending quest to make things 'better' I purchased an iPd "Smart" relay to allow for adjustable intermittent swipes. When I plugged in the new relay it buzzed as if shorting - the ignition was off and there should have been no power supplied to the relay. When I put the OEM relay back in since I was obviously going to have to call iPd to tell them the relay was bad my int. wipers no longer worked at all!

All along the regular wipers (2 speeds) work. BUT, when I turn the switch off the wipers stop where they were - no returning to the lower horizontal position?

I can only find a single fuse that references the wipers, but this post indicates there is a second fuse specifically for the intermittent. Can anyone tell me where I might find this fuse? I'm embarrassed to have to ask, but I'm stumped...

Thanks in advance.
Beau W.
I'd love to know too. I've got no intermitant wipers or the rear windscreen wiper working on my V40

Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the answer is in the 2nd post above, the CEM. However, I wonder if the same problem that causes no wipers when one "upgrades" to aftermarket HID headlights could also happen randomly or due to age and wear? Supposedly you can repair the CEM internally without replacing the whole unit. Maybe a search would find a better solution.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 AM

I agree, and after some google seaching I've found a few people of replaced relays in the CEM when the headlights have some issues. Chances are fairly good that a relay has simply crapped itself. If thats the case I'll desolder the old relay and solder in a replacement which wont be a hard job. Im going to have one of the auto sparks at work have a look at the wiring diagrams and give me some info on where possible faults could be. I'll keep the thread updated as I go