Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

rattles, wipers and defroster

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattles, wipers and defroster

I have a 2004 S60 2.5T with 27K miles on it. It has all four upgrade packages on it, including Electronic Climate Control. The car has great seats, good handling and braking, and I get an honest 25 mpg traveling at 75 mph on my 75 mile roundtrip daily commute. So far, so good. I have 4 problems that may sound trivial, but that I would like to resolve:

1) The (power) passenger seat back rattles, unless I recline it to nearly 45 degrees when it is empty. I can grab the back with my right hand while driving to silence it. The dealer keeps insisting that there is "nothing wrong with the seat". Any ideas?

2) The driver's windshield wiper drags and skips on the downstroke. I had the rubber replaced (at my expense), to no avail. At my last service, (22.5k) the dealer said that they adjusted the arm pressure, and it is a little better, but it still skips. The wiper on the passenger side works smoothly, so I know this can be fixed.

3) There is a persistant and maddening rattle in the dashboard that comes from the region to the left and behind the instrument cluster. I can provoke the sound by putting the car in Reverse, applying the brake, and bringing the engine up to about 900 rpm. It looks to me that if I could just remove the trim around the instrument cluster I could reach up into the dash and tape down the wires or linkage or bit of plastic or whatever it is, but I'm afraid to pull on the trim without knowing how to remove it without breaking it.

4) My defroster seems to require a high fan speed to be effective. In fact, at lower fan settings the system blows a jet of cold air from the middle of the windshield grill that creates a condensation cloud on the OUTSIDE of the windshield, just below my sightline. Is this system designed to require high fan speed to defrost? How do I control the temperature of the defrost airflow? I realize that the A/C is on to dehumidfy the air. On my previous cars (without "climate control"), I could simply set the flow to defrost, turn on the A/C, then adjust the heater to get the desired flow of warm, dry air, at low fan speeds. This is my first experience with climate control, and I must say that I am not impressed.