Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 S60 2.5T AWD: Anaerobics for waterpump seal too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S60 2.5T AWD: Anaerobics for waterpump seal too?

Going to be doing my water pump. Had a chance during my 5 flush weekend and had an "screw it" moment. Even the Volvo guy at a stealership had no idea regarding my overheating, yet no heat issue. All points to a bad WP (possible impeller is rotating on shaft). Possible bad flow to the heater core.
Aaaaaanyway... I know that anaerobic sealers have to be used on the valve cover. I despise RTV. Permatex Anaerobic Flange Sealer says it can be used on waterpumps. Has anyone used this on their waterpump? What does Volvo use? (any dealer mechs I haven't insulted with "stealership" term?)

I'm looking at the Permatex Prep/Activator to clean the area and the Anaerobic Flange Sealant.

Sidenote: I went to Lovering Volvo in Concord, NH and had to get an appt to read the SRS/Airbag Service Urgent code. Cancelled. Decided I was NOT spending $115 (their base / 1st hr rate) to say "Yes, it was just the biyearly test requirement" for a 15-30 min "look-see".

Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcM

Sidenote: I went to Lovering Volvo in Concord, NH and had to get an appt to read the SRS/Airbag Service Urgent code. Cancelled. Decided I was NOT spending $115 (their base / 1st hr rate) to say "Yes, it was just the biyearly test requirement" for a 15-30 min "look-see".
There is no biannual test requirement. That means a fault was detected in the SRS system. So if you crash, the airbags may not work. You're right, probably not worth it.

Last edited by ES6T; 01-19-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
There is no biannual test requirement. That means a fault was detected in the SRS system. So if you crash, the airbags may not work. You're right, probably not worth it.
Nope! I'm a professional driver and keep myself from situations like that. I even hate ABS, which damned near got me killed the other morning.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

You hate ABS and SRS? Haha okay. ABS doesn't kill people. Probably one of the dumbest things I've heard on here.

Last edited by ES6T; 01-20-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:44 PM

Wow. I feel like someone tied a steak around my neck and threw me in the Amazon.

Explanation of my remarks:
Air bags: I'm a professional truck driver / trainer, was on a national safety council for an International school bus company with hundreds of terminals & 40,000+ buses and drivers. The driver safety & operation manual I wrote is still followed today in the US & Canada. Current job I'm on the company "safety" committee (quotes because it's a joke in many facets) for an intrastate distribution company. I follow the Smith System in my own car as well as trucks. I'm continually aware of chuckleheads crossing medians, cutting out in front of me, etc. My seatbelt works. I have no issue with airbags, excellent safety device. One of the top safety devices ever created actually. It's simply not a priority for me to pay someone $115 to spend 15 min reading a code. I understand completely what dictates a shop rate, I'm just going to go to an independent shop beginning of next week. I was simply taken aback by the price for a simple job. For $115 I can get a VIDA DiCE unit and pirated software shipped. I haven't done that because I have to find one of my old laptops to revert to Win XP/7 to make it work and not a priority.

ABS... we had a snowstorm up here the other day. Ran into a situation where I think non-ABS stab braking would have stopped me better than the standard ABS braking of "hold it on". Did have to let off a few times to get the front end to straighten out. That's it. Personal conjecture. No accident, but I squeak when I walk now. Thinking about it, I'm going to run thru the control arms and check the bushings as I have since learned it's a common issue. Maybe there is a developing problem in a bushing that was exacerbated and amplified by the ABS system kicking in and the snow. Car was tight as a drum, but things wear and sometimes quickly.

Simply put, I don't rely on safety systems as I generally don't need to. When ABS kicks on, I feel I lose control of the car (Yes, I've had several cars before with ABS). All pedal feedback is lost. I simply don't like it. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one... and they both stink unless you're a olfactophiliac.

My two favorite cars in the snow (aside from the S60) were my '87 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and '92 Lincoln Towncar (both RWD & non-ABS) For 4x4's: '96 Ram 2500 & '98 Dakota (both RWD ABS only). Most immature fun in the snow was with the 85.5 Honda CRX Si though.

Last edited by MarcM; 01-20-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

ABS works, like it or not.

VIDA is not a magic machine that we plug in and it tells us what the problem is. A code for a component does not indicate the component is at fault. Good luck at the independent shop for the SRS light. If they guess right, they'll have your business and you will keep thinking the dealer is a rip off. If they guess wrong, it'll get expensive.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:48 PM

VIDA is a *tool*. It's not a magic wand and a reasonable person would realize this. Manufacturer tools or generic scan tools included. Manufacturer specific tools often have model/option specific testing such as in our case ECC testing, LCM testing / programming, etc. I simply want the code and they reset it in this instance. If the code sticks, I fix it.
Anyway, the particular dealership I (with indiscretion) named was close to work. I've since noted their 'notoriety' in reviews and will possibly never return. There are a handful of Volvo-specific independents which I eluded to (no, I was not saying I was considering a Dirty Dan's Busted Knuckles All Make Auto Repair type of shop). The one of highest acclaim in New England is almost across the state. I had contacted another dealership and they returned my inquiry earlier this afternoon. They charge quite a bit less for "CEL Diagnosis" which I find reasonable. Unfortunately they are 45 min from my house, let alone 1h20m from work which makes for a fun time getting it into a bay.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

Disclaimer - not a Volvo trained technician, just somebody who's done DIY repairs for 40+ years... Why do you want to use a sealant - are you thinking of going without the gasket? Or are you thinking of using some use Permatex etc to tack the gasket in place when assembling or to ensure the gasket works as a gasket and actually seals the water in? Assuming you have properly cleaned off the face and are using a new, quality part, you should be able to install with a dry gasket (just make sure you are using bolts with threadlock) but I don't think it'd hurt to use a thin layer of some form-a-gasket product that is non hardening to help tack the gasket in place. Keep in mind if you put some sticky stuff on that hardens, its just going to make replacing the pump later more difficult. On the topic of airbags and ABS... nobody plans to get into an accident and a million miles of road experience doesn't preclude somebody else from messing with your good karma. ABS and SRS work since they don't involve human reaction times and decisions. I can appreciate your laments about diminished pedal feel but I gladly paid my dealer to restore the SRS system in my S40 to full working order for my kids to have a safe drive.