Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

At the end of my rope with my s60

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At the end of my rope with my s60

fuel pump was bad, bad mechanic put a used one in ran bad, then I put a new pressure sensor on and cleaned the mas then the would run great for about 5 minutes like clockwork and then would idle down and stall and would not start again until the next day, now it won't start at all no matter how long you let it sit. I had codes pulled again and it said something about cam shaft position sensor so I put a new one on. (I just plugged it in) are there any special instructions to installing one of these cps?. So I read about fuel pump relays, so I tried for several hours to find the one on my s60 "Turbo" and after some reading I found out that my car doesn't have a fuel pump relay, correct me if i'm wrong. Another code was a MAS so I took it off an cleaned it real good, wouldn't the car still run even if the MAS was bad or if I unplugged it?. The car is a 2006 pristine with only 115,000 I bought it two years ago with 91,000 so i can't see a whole lot of things being wore out on it the previous owner kept very good care of the car. Another thing I was thinking, that after owner 7 or 8 Volvo's over the years, could it the lighted key ring immobilizer thingy. I am at wits and have a pre surgery appointment Monday and am tired of asking friends and neighbors to take us every where, we have wore out our welcome with them. please help me. hanks Robert

Old 04-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Did you ever put a new fuel pump in?

Old 04-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Did you ever put a new fuel pump in?
yes, and a cam shaft position sensor and a fuel pressure sensor and now I checking each coil pack for spark. any help would be appreciated Sir.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM

If the fuel module was bad would fuel pump even work? because the new pump I installed comes on and pumps every time.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

The cam position sensor was not needed.
So it currently cranks but does not start, correct?
And you can hear the pump running? Have you measured fuel pressure?

Old 04-09-2017, 09:29 PM

The cam position sensor was not needed.
So it currently cranks but does not start, correct?
And you can hear the pump running? Have you measured fuel pressure?
There is no gas at the fuel rail I sprayed gas into the intake and the car started and I pushed a pin into the schrader valve and NO gas came out. I read somewhere that the fuel pump runs at two speeds the new pump seems to be running at a slow speed like the old pump did. I don't understand this. Can I bypass the fuel module and put power directly to the pump and see what happens?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

And this is a brand new Volvo pump? Installed by someone who knows how?

The pump is pulse width modulated, which means it is basically infinitely variable, not just two speeds.

It could be a bad PEM and yes, you can try supplying direct power and ground to see if it starts.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:58 AM

UPDATE!!! I was looking at the connections on the sending unit and saw that there was plenty of gas. Pulled out the fuel pump to check the connections and that side of the tank was BONE DRY. pulled the pump to the side and poured 7 gallons of gas installed the pump in and the started right up. drove it about 20 miles and everything seemed ok except for the gas gauge doesn't work. When this car first tore up and the fuel pump went bad we noticed that the fuel gauge was acting odd. How do I fix this?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Was there gas on the other side?

If you have a nee Volvo pump it should have come with a new level sender. But there is a level sender on the other side too.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Was there gas on the other side?

If you have a nee Volvo pump it should have come with a new level sender. But there is a level sender on the other side too.
Yes, the fuel sender side was almost full the pump side was bone dry.

Now I'm fighting the fuel gauge it just stopped working so I removed it. I read somewhere that aftermarket sending unit are sometimes wired backwards. so I switched the wires and still no go. the black wire from the pump side that feeds power to the sending unit, I even used my electric tester to complete the circuit and still nothing. am I missing anything?

Old 04-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

The pump was installed wrong. The ejector hose is probably kinked.

If you have an aftermarket gauge then you're on your own with that one.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM

The pump was installed wrong. The ejector hose is probably kinked.

If you have an aftermarket gauge then you're on your own with that one.
How do you install a pump wrong? if it can be done, I probably did it.

I installed the pump and the sending with the supplied arrow on casing pointing towards the back. If pointing the arrows towards the back of the car is wrong, please let me know, because I was just duplicating what was already there from when the other "shade tree" mechanic had installed it.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

That doesn't mean the ejector hose isn't kinked.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 AM

where can I find the ejector hose?

Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Its the plastic hose that goes from the pump to the other side of the tank and clips to the level sender

Old 04-14-2017, 01:39 PM

I couldn't find an "ejector hose" but I did find a "Paper Stretcher" being that I am a printer.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:53 PM

NEW UPDATE!!!! I was looking at the fuel pump hose connections to make sure the were snug and then I got to looking at the actual plug itself. Most of the wires were melted together and one of the heavier gauge wire was almost severed in two so I pulled them apart fixed the wires and I think the second motor in the pump is now working and pulling fuel from the driver's side part of the tank. Fuel gauge still a no go. There has to be a fuse for the fuel gauge. where is it????

Old 04-28-2017, 01:38 PM

when the fuel gauge stopped working I was looking right at it, it read about 1/3 full and then dropped straight to empty. When I turn the key to start position the needle doesn't move or even flicker, it's like it's not getting any power to it. all gauges work fine. the sending unit looks to be brand new. I paid for it to be replaced and it looks like he did replace it. I've read other posts about there being a ground wire that could be loose or broke that could cause this problem. It's supposed to be on the tank but I can't find it. can anyone tell me where it is? 2006 volvo 2.5 T5 Turbo.