Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting scared to buy a used Volvo S60

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting scared to buy a used Volvo S60

I've fallen in love with the S60 Turbo. My husband and I test drove a 2001 and a 2002 last weekend (we can't afford a new one) and we loved both cars. Unfortunately I came home to do more internet research, including consumer's experience and opintion, and read a few things that may scare me off.

Is it true that the 2001 and 2002 have a history of transmission problems? If so, how common is this? Many early S60 owners also complained of front and rear lamps burning out quickly. Is this still an issue and we it ever discovered why this occurred?

The cars we test drove were previously leased vehicles. In your opinion is it a good or bad idea to buy a previously lease vehicle?

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2004, 03:17 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Getting scared to buy a used Volvo S60

Yes there was transmission problems with those cars.They have pretty much got it figured out.The light problem yes the lights burn out some what often.But what a lot of people don't realise is that the lights stay on all the time.When they are on all the time they will burn out faster.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Don,t be scared i have recently purchased an 2001 S60 2.4T SE with 46000 miles. WOW, I can say it is one of the best second hand cars i have ever owned, so far 2 lamps have blown, no probs the data message system tells lets you know you a lamp failure and which lamp has failed. As for the transmission, its my first auto box so far its been fine, i will not be going back to a manual .
The other slight ****le is i have noisey anti roll bar bush, which the garage will sort when it has its service. Oh and the fuel but never mind you cant have everything.

GO GET IT, YOU WILL BE PLEASED.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Rey

We had the daytime running lights disabled on ours -- a simple reprograming, free at the dealership.

No bulbs have burned out yet.

Ours is '02 S60AWD with about 27k miles.

Only transmission problems we had were some slow shifting when in the Geartronic mode, but this was solved with a software upgrade.

Oh, yeah, and the Nav system once told us we were 100 miles off the coast in the Atlantic, but that just turned out to be interference from a terrible storm. Pretty funny to look at the screen, though, and see yourself surrounded by ocean... ;-)

It's a great car and I wouldn't be afraid to buy one used -- just make sure you have a mechanic take a good look at it, run a Carfax, autocheck, etc. Best to buy one privately rather than from a dealership, unless you know they are trustworthy.