Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a 01 S60 with 98k, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought a 01 S60 with 98k, need some help

Hi everyone, let me first say i am totally stoked i bought the car. I am 19 and i am in college but i have saved up alot of money over the past few years. My first car was a 64 Chevelle and then i bought a 03 Camry and drove that for 3 years. I decided i didnt want a car back in december and sold that for $8k. Now, with summer coming and realizing im going to need something for work i decided to look around. So to cut the story short, I had my dad look at the car when i was out at school and he said it was in great shape, so i bought it, went home yesterday on a 5am train and then drove it back to school, a 4 hour drive. I absolutely love the car but i know its gonna need to have some maintainance done very soon. I am fairly good with my hands, i did tons of work on my 64 chevelle and as standard brakes, plugs, and such on my camry. My question is, what i am going to need to replace right now or at 100k and can i do it myself?
I was thinking of doing plugs which is easy, and a timing kit. I was just wondering if i can do the timing kit myself or would it be better to have someone else do it. ANd while i have the timing belt off, should i go ahead and replace the water pump as well? And do i need to worry about the turbo?

thanks,
Ryan

Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 PM

The timing belt is due pretty soon. You should probably plan on dealing with it ASAP. And yes, you should get the water pump done as well. The extra cost is pretty low. As for doing it yourself, well, thats hard to say but a timing belt is a pretty big job. Having said that, it'll probably cost you well over $500 to have someone else do it.

Other things to look at:
spark plugs,
cabin air filter
tranny fluid
engine mounts

I don't think you need to worry about the turbo. Just keep the oil fresh.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do the timing belt job. I have faith in you. Plugs are simple, water pump would be a good idea also. May want to check the fuel filter also.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 AM

thanks for your advice. is the fuel filter something easy to get at? and can anyone reccomnd a good repair manual?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel filter is under the passenger rear door near the rear tire. I have not been able to find a repair manual yet.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbrit
The timing belt is due pretty soon. You should probably plan on dealing with it ASAP. And yes, you should get the water pump done as well. The extra cost is pretty low. As for doing it yourself, well, thats hard to say but a timing belt is a pretty big job. Having said that, it'll probably cost you well over $500 to have someone else do it.

Other things to look at:
spark plugs,
cabin air filter
tranny fluid
engine mounts

I don't think you need to worry about the turbo. Just keep the oil fresh.
I would replace the Serpentine Belt, too..........same schedule as the timing belt. Sometimes when the timing belt is replaced, the mechanic writes the mileage and date on a decal near the engine...........you might try to verify whether the timing belt was already done by looking there. Also, a coolant flush and new thermostat might be in order.........these are all things done by our Volvo Dealer on our 2001 V70 2.4T at the 100k service point and our V70 has the same engine as your 2004 S60.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by rgl133
Hi everyone, let me first say i am totally stoked i bought the car. I am 19 and i am in college but i have saved up alot of money over the past few years. My first car was a 64 Chevelle and then i bought a 03 Camry and drove that for 3 years. I decided i didnt want a car back in december and sold that for $8k. Now, with summer coming and realizing im going to need something for work i decided to look around. So to cut the story short, I had my dad look at the car when i was out at school and he said it was in great shape, so i bought it, went home yesterday on a 5am train and then drove it back to school, a 4 hour drive. I absolutely love the car but i know its gonna need to have some maintainance done very soon. I am fairly good with my hands, i did tons of work on my 64 chevelle and as standard brakes, plugs, and such on my camry. My question is, what i am going to need to replace right now or at 100k and can i do it myself?
I was thinking of doing plugs which is easy, and a timing kit. I was just wondering if i can do the timing kit myself or would it be better to have someone else do it. ANd while i have the timing belt off, should i go ahead and replace the water pump as well? And do i need to worry about the turbo?

thanks,
Ryan
Also, check out this EXCELLENT link which lists all the maintenance to consider that a member sent me regarding my posting for our recently purchased 2004 S60 with 52,500 miles on it.............actually more applicable to your newly acquired vehicle with almost 100,000 miles on it: http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X204&url=http%3A//forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread%3Fid%3D113425

Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by AVIATOR83
I have not been able to find a repair manual yet.

haynes publishes a workshop manual for S60s in the UK. You can get a copy on ebay here in the US http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

I just bought one and it is very good. It details all projects including the timing belt. Of course I am assuming that the US models are pretty close to the UK models!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM

thanks a bunch, just ordered the manual yesterday so i should have it soon

Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbrit
haynes publishes a workshop manual for S60s in the UK. You can get a copy on ebay here in the US http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

I just bought one and it is very good. It details all projects including the timing belt. Of course I am assuming that the US models are pretty close to the UK models!
I read a review of a similar publication for the Volvo 2001 plus V70s on Amazon.com from a person who bought this manual.........he was very unhappy because the manual is for U.K. vehicle owners and some of the USA Volvo models are not included like his vehicle. Please let us know which USA S60 vehicles are NOT included. I may want to order it for myself if you think it's pretty comprehensive.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM

ill take a look at mine when i get it and i will let you know how detailed and good the manual is when i get it