Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Play in the steering wheel up and down

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in the steering wheel up and down

Just noticed some play in the steering wheel up and down today. It just came very recently. I am thinking may be the steering wheel nut getting loose. Before messing up and try to take out the steering wheel central cover to check the nut underneath I was wondering if there was any thing I should be careful with? Does the cover just clip out of the steering wheel? Anything I need to be particularly careful with when I take the cover out? How about the air bag?
Thanks for any info/tip you guys can give me.
Al

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Since I did no get much success with my previous question I had to figure it on my own. The fix was actually very easy and took only 10mns. So here are some tips for those who may have the same issue with play on the steering wheel.
I was right on the steering wheel nut getting loose. It was indeed the cause of the problem. Here is what I did and how I did it.
- First I unplugged the battery and wait for 5mns before working on the steering wheel. In a previous experience with a aftermarket radio/gps I learnt the hard way that you must disconnect the battery every time you work on something on the S60 if you do want to get an air bag or other warning light.
- Then I removed the center cover of the steering wheel that contains the air bag. There are two holes on the rear of the steering wheel. To access these holes you have to turn the steering 1/4 of a turn. On recent models (2001 and up I believe) the cover is clipped (and not screwed) to the steering wheel. To unclip it I inserted a screw driver in the hole and pry it up to release the clip. That unclipped one side of the cover. Then I turned the steering wheel 1/2 of a turn to expose the second hole and did the same thing with the second clip. I was then able to remove the cover without unplugging the air bag.
- I could then clearly see that the steering play was coming from a loose nut which I tightened back.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by alpac
Just noticed some play in the steering wheel up and down today. It just came very recently. I am thinking may be the steering wheel nut getting loose. Before messing up and try to take out the steering wheel central cover to check the nut underneath I was wondering if there was any thing I should be careful with? Does the cover just clip out of the steering wheel? Anything I need to be particularly careful with when I take the cover out? How about the air bag?
Al
I have same thing happening to me its gotten progressively worse over the past few weeks.it had a bout ⅜" play now. It feels gross. Like a beater truck.lol let me know if you find out how to fix...

Old 11-22-2023, 09:23 AM
Default 2006 S60 up and down looseness on steering wheel

Originally Posted by alpac
Al
Hi Alpac! I’ve noticed the same on out 2006 S60. I read you popped off the center cover after disconnecting the battery, and tightened a nut. Did this fix it for you?