Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Replacing Oil trap Volvo S60 2001

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Replacing Oil trap Volvo S60 2001

I have been trying to replace a failed oil trap and got stuck taking out the intake manifold to have access to the oil trap. Has any done this job and what are some tips taking out the manifold.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty straight forward. you have to remove the fan, and the dipstick tube. Remove all the turbo hoses and intake tube going under the manifold. Remove the top cover on the engine and remove the hose at the top. Undo the fuel line, and remove the fuel rail. 6 bolts hold on the manifold. You will have the 17 mm hex banjo fitting on the underside toward the front of the manifold (PITA) the front most manifold bolt can be difficult to get to if you do not have the right set-up. After the its cake.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Many others have tried to clean the oil trap and call things good but I have found it to be futile.

Bite the bullet and buy the complete kit - replace all components. Clean up all of the holes in the block as you go.

I'm not one to throw unnecessary money at parts but this a job where new parts make all the difference.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by george23
Many others have tried to clean the oil trap and call things good but I have found it to be futile.

Bite the bullet and buy the complete kit - replace all components. Clean up all of the holes in the block as you go.

I'm not one to throw unnecessary money at parts but this a job where new parts make all the difference.
i simply cleaned out my pcv system, but it had only been blowing smoke out the oil fill cap for a month or so, its been 2000 miles and still good, i hope it holds up for a while.

take photos while you work, you dont wanna swap the two hoses up top of the oil trap because then you will have to remove the intake again.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 AM

removing the intake is not all that hard.

It is actually the lower opening on the block that is most important to be clear, also the small vacuum line going from the PCV hose to the banjo bolt. Being sure those two things are clear you shouldn't have any "smoke".

However, you will still have pressure build-up and will still eventually damage your engine. Its much easier just replacing everything rather than cleaning and re-installing.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Default Oil trap replaced

Bought a new oil trap and all hoses from a volvo dealership, replaced and cleaned everything; however after completeion of the the job I got fault code p1500. Check the vehicle speed sensor and everything is intack. Contact my mechanic and he has not got any clue what to do next.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
removing the intake is not all that hard.

It is actually the lower opening on the block that is most important to be clear, also the small vacuum line going from the PCV hose to the banjo bolt. Being sure those two things are clear you shouldn't have any "smoke".

However, you will still have pressure build-up and will still eventually damage your engine. It's much easier just replacing everything rather than cleaning and re-installing.
guess I was just lucky because I have the proper vac on the system of -.02 Kpa and with a scope I check and oil drains properly back into the block but anyway back to the question

I think you posted somewhere else about the p15xx code, here is the code readout "P1500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent"
so perhaps the sensor is failing or you bumped the connector, reset the code and if it reappears replace the sensor.

Last edited by Nichals; 06-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM

I get that occasionally in my own Volvo. It is a ever so slight dip in battery voltage. The computer can pick up on that and throws a code.

Happens almost everytime I leave the dome light on for more than 30 minutes.

But yes, make sure the connector is good and solid.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Default AIRBAG module Replacement

My air light is on for my volvo s60 2001 2.4L. I did a diagnostic test at a volvo delearship and was told that theair module has failed. I bought a new one and would like to know how I can replace it.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Default Just performed this job on my 2001 Volvo S60 2.4 (NON TURBO), went great until...

I just made the dumbest mistake throughout this whole job. I used CARBURETOR CLEANER to clean the surface of the intake manifold platform of carbon. I'm not quite sure how much is actually in my intake, I went through about 70 percent of the can. at the end I used it to clean my intake plenum and butterfly valve. do I have to take the whole thing apart again to get this stuff out? It starts then revs to about 2 gs then slows down to a stall. I believe some of the excess fluid has somehow purged out of the engine and leaked on the ground beneath. but it doesn't smell like carburetor cleaner anymore, it smells almost like water. please tell me I didn't screw myself!!!