Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Slight Vibration when Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Vibration when Accelerating

I have a 2002 s60 2.4T. At 60K I noticed a slight vibration while accelerating between 30-60mph. I've changed the tires, brakes, rotors with an alignment thinking that would fix the problem.All the work needed to be done so it's was not a big deal, but I still have thevibration afterI did thework.
The vibration will go away onceI take my foot off the gas (pedal).

Itook a quick look under the car to make sure thatmycv boots were not torn/ripped and they look to be fine. The vibration seems to be coming from the front passanger side, but I'm not sure. There is some noise when Ihard left and right but after looking at some other posts it's probably the tire width.

I not sure how todiagnose the problem but think it could be thecv boot going bad (haven't seen any posts) or mayber the harmonic stabilizer or axle?

Anyone come across something like this before? Any solutions?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slight Vibration when Accelerating

edit: I would have the motor mounts checked, though I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a warped orbent hub.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the reply 01_fast_ride

If it was a bent/warped hub I would suspect that there would be some vibration while braking hard at the higher speeds. I didn't think about the motor mounts.If it was the motor mount I would thinkan automatic would have more of a constant vibration with the lower speed since it needs more torque initially (take-off).

When driving around 30mph I can punch it and literally see my passanger seat belt start vibrating while going up to 60mph.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 PM

The only difference is that you applying torque when you are on 4th – 3rd gear. Sometimes when I do not want to switch from 5th gear and going uphill … I do apply gas just enough to support the speed and I can hear this deep sound from the engine and a very slight vibration.
Engine will work with transmission together and they are connected somehow.
I had this problem with engine - transmission up to a few days ago. When I was stopping, I had RPMs go down to 600 and there was vibration at this point, so gradual braking helped but after transmission flush that thing down shifts better and no problem. I am just wondering if transmission problems could affect your up shifting…

Old 06-19-2007, 04:07 PM

I was reading up on this problem you've been having. The symptom is typical of a bad inner cv joint. But you've probably already figured that out by now. Please post any update orig_nautique.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:08 AM

I believe it's the inner cvjoint, but I haven't had anyone take a look at it. I don't know if it's worth doing the work myself since I know just enough to get into trouble. Thanks for the reply fast_ride.

Do you know where I can get a s60 manual (CD online) so I can review how the joints are put together?I don't want to pay for one at the dealer since it will be a little more expensive.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Default Slight Vibration when Accelerating

It's been a while but I had the CV joint from the passanger side replaced. I talked with the one of the mechanics and they said the passanger side has the longer shaft and it usually wears down sooner.

The price wasn't bad. Keep in mind if you have to replace one shaft you might as well replace both since the price is about the same.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by orig_nautique
I believe it's the inner cvjoint, but I haven't had anyone take a look at it. I don't know if it's worth doing the work myself since I know just enough to get into trouble. Thanks for the reply fast_ride.

Do you know where I can get a s60 manual (CD online) so I can review how the joints are put together?I don't want to pay for one at the dealer since it will be a little more expensive.
I can pretty much confirm this to be true. I had the shaking problem too when accelerating. The front right CV joint was gone. I had it replaced. Well, recently, the shaking has come back. Turns out, the front left one is now gone. It's a $470 fix for one side here.