Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Car running funny

Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car running funny

I couldn't think of a more generic title to discuss my issue as it could be categorized under a few subjects.

Car: 2000 S70 GLT - 96k miles

Initial Problem: My coolant has been leaking very slowly for about 2-3 weeks. I've topped it off everytime it was low because I didn't have time to investigate. I got around to investigating and couldn't find any leaks, though I suspect it is leaking near the turbo because I can't find anything near upper or front engine area (coolant tank, radiator, etc)

Quick solution: Instead of investigating more or taking it to a shop, I was in an autoparts store and thought I'd try the radiator stop leak product. I put the powder in the coolant tank and topped off with coolant with the heater on high just like the instructions said.

Bigger problem: It has been a day since I used the product and now I'm having the following issues:When accelerating from any speed (i.e. when the RPM's are nearing 3k) I get a loss of power. There is a sound coming from the engine bay area that sounds like compressed air. Its a loud whoosh noise. I assume all turbos have check valves, so I'm thinking it could be that, although I'm not sure why or how the coolant would affect a check valve. Could the turbo coolant lines be clogged? The product says its safe for all applications and materials; and specifically says it wont clog the system. Also after the noise subsides the air smells funny outside; though not inside the cabin from the vents. I also noticed a plume of white (couldnt tell if it had a tint of blue) exhaust smoke while accelerating from a stop. For the record, the engine is not overheating so that isn't an issue.

Proposed proper solution: I plan on flushing (drain+refill) the entire cooling system first and hope that this problem goes away. The car is scheduled for timing belt/water pump in the next 2 weeks, I plan on changing the thermostat at that time as well. I'm not sure what else I need to do if I did contaminate the cooling system.

Your input:
I'm not entirely sure the cooling system is at fault; though its the my most likely culprit since this is the only item that I've changed recently. I will need to know if the turbo has a check valve and if it could be the loud whoosh noise coming from the car. What else could be the problem?

Thanks for your input in advance

Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I would check the intercooler hoses for leaks. Sounds like one blew out.