Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Replaced PVC system, now rough idle (I have the code!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced PVC system, now rough idle (I have the code!)

Hi Folks:

I'm a noobie on the forum here. I have a '98 S70 GLT that is leaking from the RMS. Friday 21 Sept 2007 I tore into the PCV/Flame trap system.

I unhooked the throttle cable, pulled the intake manifold and replaced the oil separator and all the hoses (I got the kit from fcpgroton).

When I pulled the main hose that routes around to the driver side and toward the rear of the engine bay the rubber piece with the two hose inlets and electrical connector came with it. I blew it out with some wd-40 (it was quite gummed up). It was a real PITA to put back in but I made sure it was fully seated.

I replaced the intake manifold gasket, set it in, bolted everything up, and I had no extra bolts or hoses (Yeah!)

I reconnected the battery and tried to fire it up.

First crank took a couple of spins to get fuel back in the fuel rail (I expected that). But I ended up with a really rough idle and the engine would stall.

I took it for a snort and that cleaned up the idle a bit. After a couple of engine cycles I popped a P0172. My book says bank 1 too rich.

The only oddity I saw was that cyl #1 injector's fiber gasket (not the o-ring, but the tan gasket thingy) was cracked and missing chunk out of it.

I checked all the hoses, and everything is in place, with all the hose clamps.

A friend just suggested spraying a touch of carb cleaner near the manifold gasket to see if the idle changes. He said that would show me if there is a leak where the manifold meets the block.

I can pull pix from my camera tonight if it will help (picture of the injector)

The hoses were FULL of gunk.

Any other suggestings???

TIA,

-travis

Old 09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Replaced PVC system, now rough idle (I have the code!)

Try the Carb cleaner thing.
Sounds liek you have a vaccum leak somewhere.
Maybe the hose that runs to the back of the engine.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 PM

Sounds like you didn't tighten the intake manifold down enough.

Nick

Old 09-25-2007, 06:22 AM

I cleared the '172 code before going to work yesterday. After the drive to work, back home, then to soccer practice for my son, I got the CEL again. When I got home I pulled the following:

P0172 (bank 1 too rich)
P0300 (multiple misfire)
P0303 (Cyl 3 misfire)
P0305 (Cyl 5 misfire).

I'll try the carb cleaner deal and recheck the hoses again tonight.

Anyone have the torque settings for the manifold bolts handy? I could only get in there with my 1/4" ratchet on some and on the driver's side top bolt with a box end wrench, nothing else I have would fit.

Maybe that'll give you guys some more food for thought.

It's kinda funny, tho, the top end is fine, not rough at all, just at idle...

-travis

Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 AM

OBTW:

Pix here: http://sawyer.is-a-geek.net/tsawyer/volvo

This is a new england car, you'll notice quite a bit of salt corrosion. Unfortunately the picture of the cracked fiber washer is out of focus.

-travis

Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM

definatly a vaccum leak.

Nick

Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 AM

So, I went home (rode the m'cycle yesterday, gotta love 50mpg for a FUN commuter vehicle) and popped the hood.

I sprayed a little carb cleaner on the manifold gasket near each of the inlet ports. Between cyl 2 & 3, and 3 & 4 the engine picked up revs and idled smoothly. I grabbed my borrowed haynes manual and flipped to the front of the chapter, it said 15 ft lbs. for the manifold bolts.

I whipped out the torque wrench, a 6 inch extension, a 1/2" to 3/8" socket converter and my 10mm six point socket.

It turns out that 4 of the bolts where essentially hand tight (that'll teach me for using the 1/4" ratchet). I couldn't get to two of the lower bolts (it's autumn here in New England, day light was waning and my 3 kids were going ape as its a full moon!). The two bolts in question require the use of a u-joint socket adapter, which, it turns out, I don't have.

The good thing here is that I was able to torque down the bolts that were giving me grief and the car is idling smoothly now. I cleared the codes last night and drove the 17 miles to work w/o issues. I think I need a couple more engine cycles to see if I pop any more codes, but I think I'm in the clear now.

Kudos to my co-worker for suggesting the carb cleaner, and thanx tech for confirming that that technique would help. I'm glad I don't have to take a botch job to a mechanic! Nick - you were spot on!

-travis

Old 09-26-2007, 09:55 AM

Glad to see that everything worked out. Within the next few days, you should check all the bolts to make sure that everything stayed tight and get those last two bolts.

Nick

Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: white out

Glad to see that everything worked out. Within the next few days, you should check all the bolts to make sure that everything stayed tight and get those last two bolts.
You bet. I'll be picking up a u-joint today. Torque'ing bolts into aluminum just gives me the shivers. I've broken enough bolt and screw heads ... I definitely don't want to do that to my engine!

thx

-travis