Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S70 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 Turbo

Hello all, I just joined this forum a few minutes ago and hope to get all the knowledge that I can for my 98 S70 T5. I have about a billion questions about it but want to start with my turbo. My car is bone stock under the hood and I want to know what size turbo my car has as well as how much boost it has and how do I turn the boost up but not too much as to blow the motor.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Your car should have the 16T turbo on it. It should be putting out 10 PSI of boost.
There is a few things you can do to up the boost. You can add a MBC some people do not like to do the MBC only without a ECU tune. But you can also do a tune and no MBC or a tune and a MBC.

The stock fuel cutoff should be at 15.5 PSI but it would be safe to run about 13 PSI or so on the stock tune.

Most tunes up the boost to about 15 PSI or so.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you think that it would be smart to get intake, exhaust and then a new ECU. I heard that there is some sort of portable thing that I can get to hook up to my ecu instead of pulling it out and shipping it somewhere. What do you know about that?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:04 PM

I just bought my car a few days ago and know nothing about it. Do I need to buy a special size of tool or will a metric set work just fine?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not think there is a programmer for the 98's.
If you are planning on doing the intake and exhaust I would tune it after that this way it is tuned for your mods.

Most stuff on the Volvo are Metric. But there is a few things that are inverted torxes.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, do whatever mods you want, and then an ECU, that should be just about the last thing on your to do list. If you do an air intake and an exhaust (3" DP to 2.5'"/3" cat back) you would notice significant performance gains with just that. Would recommend doing exhaust before you do anything to your turbo, don't really want to crank up boost and then have no where for all of it to go.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone seems to forget to do STAGE ZERO first.

Plugs
cap/rotor
oil/transflush
filter (oil)
hoses (the little vac lines)
samco hose kit (Turbo Models ONLY)
02 sensors
fuel pumps
clean injectors
clean IC/IC plumbing (Turbo Models ONLY)
Air filter
plug wires

This should be done first to ensure that your car is up to par and able to handle the added stress you will be putting on it.

Intake and exhaust should be done first then an ECU upgrade. You can either do a custom intake or go with the IPD USA or EuroSportTuing (EST) short ram intake. No CAI's exist for Volvo's basically, unless you custom make one. With the exhaust system you'll want a 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a Hi-Flow CAT to either a 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing straight through design muffler such as a BORLA or MAGNAFLOW. Unless you go with one of the prefabbed systems available on the market.

Then after this get your ECU upgraded. IPD USA, RICA are the two best available on the market.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S70driver
Everyone seems to forget to do STAGE ZERO first.

Plugs
cap/rotor
oil/transflush
filter (oil)
hoses (the little vac lines)
samco hose kit (Turbo Models ONLY)
02 sensors
fuel pumps
clean injectors
clean IC/IC plumbing (Turbo Models ONLY)
Air filter
plug wires

This should be done first to ensure that your car is up to par and able to handle the added stress you will be putting on it.

Intake and exhaust should be done first then an ECU upgrade. You can either do a custom intake or go with the IPD USA or EuroSportTuing (EST) short ram intake. No CAI's exist for Volvo's basically, unless you custom make one. With the exhaust system you'll want a 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a Hi-Flow CAT to either a 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing straight through design muffler such as a BORLA or MAGNAFLOW. Unless you go with one of the prefabbed systems available on the market.

Then after this get your ECU upgraded. IPD USA, RICA are the two best available on the market.
Good call. Always forget about that.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I'm planning on buying the parts I need to give me more power so I'm sure I will have tons more questions soon. Thanks again