Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install

Old 04-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install

Anyone ever done this? I've been at it for over 6 hours now and I cannot figure out how to get the glass installed. I have my regulator installed, I just don't know how to get the glass back in.... This is the last step I need to do... Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!!!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Move the regulator to 1/2 way up. Put the plastic sliders into the glass bottom track. Lower the glass through the top of the door until the track matches the height of the regulator. Make sure the regulator pins line up with the holes in the plastic sliders. Use pliers to squeeze the pins into the sliders. This part is really hard because there is almost no clearance to get the pliers and your hand up in the door at the same time, but it can be done.

I didn't do the regulator (just the sliders) on my car, but here is a writeup that might help: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=21040

Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 AM

Ya, its the sliders I can't get. Do they really "snap" in? I've been trying to slide them in from the ends... but there is no room. Seems like it would be really hard to get them to snap in.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by wildcard442
Ya, its the sliders I can't get. Do they really "snap" in? I've been trying to slide them in from the ends... but there is no room. Seems like it would be really hard to get them to snap in.
You have to slide them into the track from the ends. Then "snap" them onto the regulator pins. I tried sliding the springs out of the sliders, putting the regulator pins in, then pushing the slider springs back in, but I couldn't get enough pressure on the springs that way.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 PM

Yup, you have to take the sliders of the regulator pins, slide them into the track, put the window in, then pop the sliders back onto the regulator pins. Need a pair of pliers to do that but it wasn't that hard. Also, need to put the locking pin back over the sliders/pin to keep the sliders on the pin. That was a little tricky, but once you get the angle right (There are grooves for the pin) it doesn't take that much pressure (if I can do it with my fingers, then pretty much anyone can.)

Thanks for the help guys I was really frustrated last night!

Now, on to the passenger side!

Oh, BTW, does anyone know if they sell just the sliders by themselves? Or do you have to buy the whole regulator?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by wildcard442
Yup, you have to take the sliders of the regulator pins, slide them into the track, put the window in, then pop the sliders back onto the regulator pins. Need a pair of pliers to do that but it wasn't that hard. Also, need to put the locking pin back over the sliders/pin to keep the sliders on the pin. That was a little tricky, but once you get the angle right (There are grooves for the pin) it doesn't take that much pressure (if I can do it with my fingers, then pretty much anyone can.)

Thanks for the help guys I was really frustrated last night!

Now, on to the passenger side!

Oh, BTW, does anyone know if they sell just the sliders by themselves? Or do you have to buy the whole regulator?
You can get the sliders by themselves from FCPGroton, tascafordparts.com, or your local dealer.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:47 PM

So I've got a question.

My sliders have gone bad, and I "repaired" it about 4 months ago. The plastic that hugs around the regulator pin had broken near the top, I'd say about 1/5th of the plastic.

Anywho, I Just snapped the sliders back in (that had fallen to the bottom of the door) and put the clip back on and called it a day (didn't know I could get replacement sliders).

Today it finally bit the dust again.

I'm ordering new sliders, but I see what I think is a problem.

On the driver's side door, the regulator arm closest to the hinge of the door, appears to be bent. It has about a 15-20 degree bend to it. I can't tell if I've somehow damaged the regulator or if it is designed that way. I REALLY don't want to have to remove the damn regulator just to bend that arm back. I wish I could post a pic but there's no way to get a camera in there.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Ok, Wow... so after finally getting a camera in there, That is DEFINITELY not the way it is supposed to be....

I have a question about the rivets though. I've got no problem drilling out the rivets, but I've never used a riveter successfully. I just don't know what the heck I'm doing.

Is this something that can be done with a cheap-o riveter from Home Depot that you can get for $20 bucks or so?

Here's the pics...

Attached Thumbnails 1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install-img_0138-large-.jpg   1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install-img_0139-large-.jpg   1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install-img_0144-large-.jpg   1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install-img_0142-large-.jpg   1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install-img_0140-large-.jpg  

Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM

The arm is definitely bent. You can try to bend it back in place, put in the new sliders and see how long it will last. Make sure you lube up the slider track and window tracks (front and rear) so it doesn't happen again. If you drill out the rivets to remove the regulator, you will need a long-nose pop riveter to put it back. You can get one online (Amazon), or I think Harbor Freight has one that might work.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Here's the rivet gun I'm talking about.

Would this be doable? I mean, the tutorial on matthew's site says to use a 3"... I don't know what part is supposed to be 3"

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Or maybe this one that has a swivel head.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Old 04-11-2010, 09:08 PM

The nose (circeld in red) needs to be 3" long to install the rivet in the back.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 S80 Driver Window Regulator Install-poprivettool.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM

There is no way I can bend that arm back while the regulator is in the window. I need to take the regulator out and hammer it flat.

I've searched google and can't find anything that's a long nose rivet gun, or 3 inch rivet gun.

I did find one on amazon that's $154 dollars....