Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Blown cam seal(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown cam seal(s)

Looks like one or both cam seals on my 2002 S80 T6 are leaking (180,000 miles). Strangely, it's not getting on the timing belt, but it's pretty obvious that it's the problem. I've removed the top timing belt cover and can see oil all over the top of the rear cam actuator. There's literally no oil under the cover to the plugs (which would indicate some other seals leaking). Still, it's difficult to say if it's the exhaust or intake cam seal, but then again it almost doesn't matter, as it would be kinda dumb not to do both of them. I do have a couple of questions before diving in.
1. I'm assuming I have the CVVT type cams. I understand there are some O rings inside of the pulleys themselves which sometimes go out. To my knowledge, one cannot just replace these O rings, one has to replace the pulleys. These are pretty pricey items, circa $300 apiece. If I can get by with only doing the seals it will be pretty cheap (except that I will need to buy a cam locking tool). However, I don't want to go in there two times. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth a shot to keep the existing pulleys? Am I being dumb to assume that the timing belt would have oil all over it if it is a blown O ring inside of a pulley?
2. I understand that the crankcase ventilation (PCV) system may be clogged, causing this mess. However, I've done the "glove" test, and it acts normally. It sucks it in on the engine fill cap, plus there's no smoke coming from the dip stick. Could it be acting normally now because of a blown seal and once I get new ones in there, it will then and only then fail the glove test? Should I plan to service the PCV whether or not it passes the "glove test" once I get the new seals in?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by djackson47; 04-14-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Clarify