Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Exterior Cosmetic fixes / immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior Cosmetic fixes / immobilizer

Hi, this is my first post to this forum and I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with some cheap fixes to some problems I have.

1. passenger side turn signal
the lights itself all work fine but I came back to my car one day (college campus) with the turn signal hanging off my car (I still have no idea how it happened) I was quoted somewhere around $170 to replace it (only the clip of the casing is broken so it doesn't clip back into place) and I'm thinking I should just super glue it back onto my car.. ideas?

2. passenger side mini turn signal
not quite sure exactly what that little light is called. the light itself also works for that part but the plastic cover for the light is missing. I was quoted $40 to fix that little bulb and after some research, realized that the price for that is for the entire light bulb part which I have no intention of paying for. has anyone fixed/replaced the plastic cover or know any place where I can get a replacement plastic cover?

3. my fog lights are cracked and one wire has fallen off
I've pretty much stopped using my fog lights because they really don't help me in any way now but with a quote of $120 to fix, I'm probably going to just leave them broken but ideas would be greatly appreciated

4. immobilizer.
I've experienced my car not starting in at least 30 different places now and it never surprises me when my car won't start for me. the first time I took it to the dealer, they replaced my antenna ring and told me everything should be okay. I took my car back to campus and had to deal with my car not starting at least 10 times. I figured out that putting my car in neutral and rolling it either forward or backward, my car would work most of the time. After bringing my car back to the dealership for an oil change, I told them my immobilizer was acting up again and they said they reprogrammed my keys which fixed the problem for about two days. any advice for this would be greatly appreciated as well

- Jon

Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Default specs

sorry just realized I forgot to include my car details

1999 Volvo S80 T6

Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jonen
1. passenger side turn signal
the lights itself all work fine but I came back to my car one day (college campus) with the turn signal hanging off my car (I still have no idea how it happened) I was quoted somewhere around $170 to replace it (only the clip of the casing is broken so it doesn't clip back into place) and I'm thinking I should just super glue it back onto my car.. ideas?
One of mine was cracked and just bought a whole new unit. There are some dealerships that are cheaper then most of the local ones, but the pretty much only sell online or via direct call. I use Darrell Waltrip Volvo and work with Don there. My broken unit I bought cost $42.00 plus shipping (I ordered other things, so its pointless to break down the shipping costs).

2. passenger side mini turn signal
not quite sure exactly what that little light is called. the light itself also works for that part but the plastic cover for the light is missing. I was quoted $40 to fix that little bulb and after some research, realized that the price for that is for the entire light bulb part which I have no intention of paying for. has anyone fixed/replaced the plastic cover or know any place where I can get a replacement plastic cover?
You cannot just replace the lens on the side repeater lights (if that's what you're referring to, these are close to the door - the ones closer to the bumper are just running lights), it's the whole light or nothing. The price they quoted seems about right unless you go used (if you can find one).

3. my fog lights are cracked and one wire has fallen off
I've pretty much stopped using my fog lights because they really don't help me in any way now but with a quote of $120 to fix, I'm probably going to just leave them broken but ideas would be greatly appreciated
Unfortunately front lenses do get cracked, I don't think you can replace just the lens on these either. I cracked one of mine and just replaced it with a whole new unit, it was $85.00 per side.

4. immobilizer.
I've experienced my car not starting in at least 30 different places now and it never surprises me when my car won't start for me. the first time I took it to the dealer, they replaced my antenna ring and told me everything should be okay. I took my car back to campus and had to deal with my car not starting at least 10 times. I figured out that putting my car in neutral and rolling it either forward or backward, my car would work most of the time. After bringing my car back to the dealership for an oil change, I told them my immobilizer was acting up again and they said they reprogrammed my keys which fixed the problem for about two days. any advice for this would be greatly appreciated as well
Are you sure it's the immobilizer? Is the display coming up saying start prevented vehicle immobilized (or similar)? If it's not, it probably has nothing to do with the immobilizer, it more then likely is your starter, especially since it happens randomly.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the input. It seems like my cosmetic issues are proving to be expensive afterall.

More than the cosmetic things though, the immobilizer is my biggest concern. My dash display does say, "IMMOBILIZER, SEE MANUAL," so yes, I know its the immobilizer.