Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluids

I am use to a 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix (my first car) that likes to leak fluids and overheat so I am pretty verse when it comes to checking the fluids and re-filling them, so this Volvo is a sigh of relief believe me. LOL So anyway I was checking my fluids today and I was wondering a couple of things...

1. Should I get the OEM Volvo Fluids? Or should I get name brands (e.g. Valvoline, Lucas, Moble, etc...)?

2. What is the best brand to buy for Power Steering Fluid?

3. If I need oil, I was going to get Lucas Oil (LOL and I am not buying it because here in Indianapolis we have Lucas Oil Stadium LOL Go Colts!!! LOL) but is there a better brand to buy for these cars?

4. If I need Anit-frezze can I use regular Anti-Frezze or do I have to go to Volvo and get it?

5. What is the best brand to buy for Brake Fluid?

6. What is the best brand to buy for Transmission Fluid?

7. Also why does volvo use different color fluids than normal cars? It is throwing me off.

8. Am I reading the manual right when it says that I can use Automatic Transmision Fluid for Power Steering Fluid?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

9. What is the best kind of Winshield Wipper fluid? I use Rainx...

10. I know that my 1999 S80 2.9 was made by GM, but is there any weird or particular procedures that I have to do to check the fluids or can I just check them like I would with anyother car?

11. Also I was thinking about putting Nitrogen in my tires, would this be a good move or no?

[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fluids

Well, I don't think i'm the most qualified person here but I will tell you what I know about your questions..

1. If you want to play it safe, you can use volvo fluids for certain things such as power steering fluid, but the reality is that Volvo themselves don't make fluids and probably never will.... If I understand correctly the OEM power steering fluid is really pentosin

2. I'm not sure if you mean the brand Lucasoil or the additive but if it is the additive it is NOT reccomended to use any oil additives in this car.. I would reccomend you just get a good set of full synthetic oil, most likely 5w-30 considering you are up north...
Myself and many others use Mobil 1 (I use the high mileage variant) but the truth is, any full syntec oil should do it for you...

3. I dont think there is any best brand for break fluid per se, once it conforms to the necessary specs (DOT4) but I think the OEM brand is FebiBilstein if you are looking for it (you can find it on www.eeuroparts.com

4. Trans and Radiator fluids.. once you conform with the spec, there are a few threads here dicussing them.. According to tech, once you use any decent "green coolant" you should be fine..
Re: trans .. I think the required fluid is dextron 3 and you wont need synthetic unless you have the geartronic tranny

5. About the winshield washer, I have used a few brands, rain-x, peak, cheap walmart brand etc, but I have always found the prestone to be the best of the lot. either the premixed or the concentrate just seems to get bugs and dirt off better than the others.. and its the same price ($2 per bottle in walmart)

About the nitrogen in the tyres, I have heard about it being done, but I have no real experience with it to give my opinion... I dont really consider it necessary, but if you decide to go ahead just make sure to do it at a place that will stand by their product and procedure

I may be completely wrong as well, but I DO NOT think the 99 s80 was made by GM, its possible the tranny was but unless I am hugely mistaken, it was made by volvo while being owned by ford...

lastly... wait on the pro's to chime in haha

Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 AM

Here's my take on some of your questions:

3. I use Mobil 1 oil.

6. Dexron III is specified, but it's not made any more. If you can find it, it's OK to use. It's been superceded by Dexron VI, which is what I use in my car (I use synthetic Dexron VI made by Mobil).

8. Yes, you can use ATF for TOP-UP of the power steering reservoir.

10. The transmission is a GM design, but my understanding is it's made in Europe by a GM subsidiary. Check your owners manual for fluid check procedures.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on Mobil 1 oil
Iuse Castrol oils also.
And Royal Purple for most of my other fluids.
I just use regular Volvo Coolant.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

4. After searching all the boards for advice I decided to go with Zerex G-05 from my local NAPA. Says "Volvo approved" right on the back of the bottle.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Sweet thanks everyone for all of the advice!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

G-05 isn't green though. And I had to drain radiator, refill with water and run the engine several times to get all of the old stuff out. Haynes says there's a drain tap on the block too, but I didn't feel like jacking up the car and going under.