Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Muscle car mechanic working on an s80

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muscle car mechanic working on an s80

Hello everyone. I am a USA Muscle car restorer and high performance V8 mechanic. My having a "hot rod" shop can sometimes get me in trouble with my friends. Here is my problem.

A friend of mine has brought me his 2000 Volvo s-80, 2.9 non turbo. The timing belt is off the engine, apparently it broke and quite possibly has wiped the valves. (in my opinion)

What is unique about this engine (to me) is that the intake camshaft has "play" in it. There seems to be some type of mechanism that may or may not work off centrifugal force? It is behind the intake camshaft timing sprocket.

Is this the Variable Valve timing I have heard so much about? If so, how do you get this engine in time? The sprocket moves clockwise and counterclockwise before engaging the cam. (or so it seems by feel)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been unsuccessful in locating a service manual or disk with any timing related information.

I should add that my friend has requested that I put the timing belt on "To see if it will run"

He is extremely hardheaded!

Thank you in advance, and happy motoring from the Mountains of North Georgia, USA.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Muscle car mechanic working on an s80

Valves are bent!!! If the belt broke they are bent.

Yes that is a VVT pulley. It is supposed to work like that.
If you really want to try just installing the belt just line up the timing mark for the intake cam. The adjustment works off of oil pressure through the valve that is mounted to the cam cover.

If you pull the head you can mark the VVT pulley before removing it then reinstall so marks line up.
But it is also very important that you line up the cams with the cam lock tool before removing the pulley.

Volvo has a special way to do it but it is way more confusing to try their way rather than just marking it before removing it.

If you are going to tackle the job then let me know and I will explain a little better. Also since you have a shop like that am I correct to assume you can also custom make tools? If so then you should be able to make a cam lock tool yourself. I can get you a simple picture of it.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM

Thanks Tech... you were right. A total of 12 bent valves (intake)

Before i could get back to the board, I pulled the head. The VVT pulley is still on the cam, however i did have to pull the exhaust pulley off the cam.

Right now i am trying to find the valves, and gaskets. I guess it wont be too long before i will be putting the engine back together, so needless to say I will need a lot of help.

Once again, thanks for the input. I will keep checking back to see if you are around.

Muscle Car Mike

Old 10-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

If you didn't remove the VVT pulley it won't be that bad then.
You will need to make a tool to lock the cams from the back. Then you should be able to line the timing marks up and go.
If you removed the VVT pulley it is another story because the pulley and cam is not keyed.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Thank Tech. I have been trying to find the valves and finally got a hold of them and the gaskets today. I sent the head to the machine shop and the machinist has some concerns about setting the seat height after grinding the valves, but hopefully we have that under control now. Thankfully i left the VVT pulley on the cam. Once i get the head and manifolds together i will try and post back and see if you can help me set the timing the right way.

Meanwhile. I will be painting my 1970 z-28 4 speed!

Thanks again.

Muscle Car Mike

Old 10-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Look through the post below for the tool that someone make. Once you make a tool like that the Non vvt cam should be lined up with the timing marks. Then line up the VVT mark on the top cover like it should be with the crank in place and all should be fine.

https://volvoforums.com/m_98892/tm.htm

Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator

I also forgot cool on the next up for paint.

If we were closer I would have tried to work out something to get you to paint my 87 Stang coupe. I have always wanted to learn how to paint and do all the prep work.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks Tech. Yeah If you were closer i would love to have you at the shop. Body and paint is really not all that tough. I try to get everyone to do there own cars (paint) if i can. The big thing i had to learn was how to adjust out the gun so that I was controlling the paint, not letting the paint control me!

I have the head back on the s-80. i am getting ready to put the cams in etc, but as you may remember I took the pulley off the exhaust cam, and i have no way of knowing how to index it to the cam. Also, the 3 bolts that "slide" on the vvt cam have been loosened. I can still see where it was indexed though.

Unfortunately that post that you linked me up with did not show the pictures. It may just be my settings, but all i can see is the text. What does this tool do, lock the cam down?

Thanks again,

Muscle Car Mike

Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

It locks both cams into the TDC position.
Thats how the cam needs to be locked inorder to go through the process to set the pulley up.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Damn... wish you were closer Mike, that'd be one job that I'd beer over...

Old 11-08-2008, 02:44 AM

I just finnished with my 99 S80.
Go to ebay and buy the VADIS CDs. (2) One for mechanical and one for wiring. Cheap I think about $15 plus postage.
I was just about finnished with a step by step and my page just vannishe and don,t have time to start over, Sorry.
These CDs are invaluble. and Volvo does not time the cams by TDC. If you want I will try to E-Mail the pages for the Cyl head replacement that covers all stages from crank placement to cams and VVT gear timming. The cost of the valves and parts justify the cost and time to not be guessing on any of this.
Good luck,,Tom
360 422-7812 cavanaugh@cascadeisp.net

Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks Tom for all your help! This is working out great except for figuring out how to make the tools. Right now i just can figure out how to get the crank stop tool (or its alternative) to lock the crank in position. My friend is getting ancy about the car. Damn, no good deed goes unpunished it seems! Anyway, wish me luck. I wish i had more time to be on here and check with you guys but i am slammed with paint and body and hot-rod engines right now. Ill post back when i get it figured out and it's done.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Don't worry about locking the crank. Just lock the cams and go. You will be fine that way.
In my years of working on these things from 1999 when they first came out with this setup I have used the crank lock tool once.
I used the cam lock tool about 500 times.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

From Haynes Owners Workshop Manual, #4263:

Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 PM

Hey Tech.
Painting is actually not that hard .. Prep is 90% and somewhat clean shop , You can paint 2 ways fast with a lot of wet sanding and buffing or cafeful and almost no sanding and buffing..
Oh! and always buy good materials..

Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 04s80

Hey Tech.
Painting is actually not that hard .. Prep is 90% and somewhat clean shop , You can paint 2 ways fast with a lot of wet sanding and buffing or cafeful and almost no sanding and buffing..
Oh! and always buy good materials..
Thanks!!