Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

want to buy a 2000 S80 any known problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to buy a 2000 S80 any known problems?

im interested in buying a 2000 s80 with either the 2.9 or 2.8 engine. (which ever is least problematic) im guessing the 2.9?

are there any issues with these cars or motors that most of these car have?
like for audi the a6 with 2.8 and 2.7 will leak oil and the 3.0's cats will fail around 90k. is there anything like this for this car?

ive done a few bit of research and found the transmission seems to be a weak point in this car. is the tranny weak in the 2.9 and 2.8?

Last edited by 2.7taudi; 10-19-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 AM

You better stay away from volvo's since they are biggest peace of $h!...... that's what my hubby said.
If you have audi, stay with audi, much better car.
They have a lot of problems with tranny, light bulbs burning like crazy, he was replacing at least one every week, a lot of electrical gremlins, ....
We just sold our a4 quattro and he is looking to get another one soon.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:38 PM

I've had my 2000 S80 for just over a year (bought with about 65k now just over 80k) and have had some of the "typical" issues with it. I've replaced an ABS module and throttle boddy which I was able to do my self with aftermarket stuff for under $700. Recently I had to have some front suspension work done that was around $1200.
When it's all working right, it's a great ride on highway trips but in hindsight, the finicky nature of these beasts (and the total jerk attitudes from the 2 volvo dealers in my area when I called with some simple questions) makes me regret buying it. Seems like the more I know about it, the more I want to get rid of it before I have to put any more $$ into it.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM

I've had a 2000 S80 for almost 10 years now. Bought it at 23K, and it's now at 116K. I love the car! In fact, I've had many opportunities over the years to buy a newer car and have always hesitated because this has been such a good car. Absolutely no transmission problems at all over the years. Have had the usual wear and tear repairs, but until this year, when we had to replace the Throttle Body Control Module and the timing chain (recommended because of over 100K), I can truly say that I've never had a large repair bill for this car. The headlights do seem to need replaced a little more often than other cars, but even then, they only burn out about every 2 years or so. They're like clockwork though - I know that every 2 years, in October, I should expect 1 to burn out, and the other is not far behind, so we just replace both. Nothing major. We have a wonderful dealer in the area who I take my car to for the technical stuff, and then a local guy who does the usual inspection/oil change stuff, and they've both been great. The only other problem I've ever had with this car is the occasional electronic/computer hiccup. But even they have been easily remedied. Obviously, I highly recommend that year/make/model.
P.S. I had an Audi before the Volvo, and had SO many electrical and electronic problems throughout the car over the 4 years that I had it, that I would never buy another Audi again.

Last edited by Cheech; 11-03-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by irenass80
You better stay away from volvo's since they are biggest peace of $h!...... that's what my hubby said.
If you have audi, stay with audi, much better car.
They have a lot of problems with tranny, light bulbs burning like crazy, he was replacing at least one every week, a lot of electrical gremlins, ....
We just sold our a4 quattro and he is looking to get another one soon.
Tranny, yes, with a pre 2004, thanks to the weak GM transmission used to mount to a higher torque motor.

Lightbulbs, yes, because the vehicles are designed to run with not just DRLs but with full lights during driving (this can be disabled), but this obviously shortens bulb life.

Electrical issues are really not all that common, but speaking of electrical issues, what do you think Audi's and VW's are known for Electrical issues, and lots of them.

Volvo's are great cars, there is a reason they have 1/4 million, 1/2 million and million mile clubs, and it's not just a few cars that make it, but a lot. Like all cars, there are some models that are better than others, the early S80s are definately not the best, and I would be hard pressed to ever buy one. But from 2004 on, they are pretty spot on from the S80 line.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run away if it has DSTC. You can tell by looking at the various buttons under the climate control. If you have one that says DSTC, don't buy. Every DSTC part, which you will eventually get to replace is WAY WAY more expensive than the normal STC model. The other big issues with all S80s are the oil sump pickup o rings, $10 in parts, nightmare to replace, ETM (New one from Zemodex runs $550) and timing belt which you get to replace on every car.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 PM

[quote=jlewisinsyr;294706]Volvo's are great cars, there is a reason they have 1/4 million, 1/2 million and million mile clubs, and it's not just a few cars that make it, but a lot.quote]
+1
Not to mention Irv Gordon's Volvo, nearing 3 million: Irv Gordon's Volvo P1800 closing in on 3 million miles

Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 PM

dude, if you really want to buy a Volvo i'll be happy to sell mine.

Don't buy one....

ABS
Bushings
ETM
CEL
O2 sensors
and on and on and on

especially with 99 and 00

01 the just started to suck.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 PM

True words spoken in this thread. If you want to buy one then it better be brand new with a massive warranty.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fact is any 10 year old car with 125k miles on it will start to have its problems. Ball joints, bushings, struts, strut mounts, timing belt replacement etc.. This is common on most cars. Where the 99 and 2000 Volvo gets you is with the eventual out of warrantee ETM replacement, ABS Module, Brake Booster (dreaded hiss), transmission issues, and the dang oil sump O-Rings. Your buying an old car and if it has not been maintained, it will have issues.

Expect to put some money in it to get it back to decent running shape and again, DON'T BUY ONE WITH DSTC!!!!

Last edited by hughrhodes; 12-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:36 PM

I love my 01 s80 2.9L. It's a comfortable and smooth ride. The only thing is that the parts are expensive and some things are a PITA to fix. A little effort goes a long way though. I've done a oil trap, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, tensioner, radiator, head gasket, serpentine belt, inner and out tierod, upper strut mount, coil seat, and hood struts replacement on it. If you wrap the elect wires in temp sleeving or insulating wrap it helps since they like to holding heat in eng bay. use dielectric grease in all elect plugs and bulbs as corrosion is a problem too. Don't over fill with oil. I use 7qts vs 7.3 due to the oil trap sucking oil into the pcv system and clogging. Just don't spend a lot of money on it. You'll need the money to fix it. It will give u a reason to drink beer and hang out in the garage.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM

I bought an '02 s80 t6 w/ dstc and 113,xxx miles on it a few months ago and have had a few problems with it. I like the car, but you have to put money in it to keep it in good shape. Since August I've had to replace two cylinder coils, the CAT has been going bad, the interior leather is tearing on the armrest and driver seat, the front suspension and steering needs reworked, and since two days ago, I have six engine codes stored. However, I'd blame the previous owners before the car for not taking care of it, and I tend to drive pretty hard myself, explaining the bad cylinder coils. I also drive 60 miles a day. The car itself is fun to drive and comfortable. It's a great looking car with plenty of power to spare. It handles decently and sits four comfortably. Before you buy, get a good idea of the car's condition and be prepared to do a lot of preventative maintenance to keep the car in good shape.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 PM

I had an S80 2000,the computer kept showing an endless number of problems that did not excist,I became fedup with the dealer charges to analize them each time only to find no fault,they cleared the computer,only to have it repeat again.
When it was cleared I sold it the next day before it came back again..
Owned the car two months,lousy gas milage..