Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

New guy with questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with questions

Hi all. New to the forums and new to Volvos. Just picked up a 1998 S90 for a daily driver, bc apparently there isnt a large aftermarket parts/performance upgrades selection... unless you do a swap or spend crazy $$$ on custom parts. and i wanted a car that would keep me from doing that to it.. just keep it serviced put gas in it and drive it. Not new to cars as i recently got rid of my favorite car ever a Toyota Supra. Tastefully modified of course. to the point of this post, i am having an ac airflow issue. I have checked the intake vent under the wipers and it appears to be clean. you can place your hand over the vents and feel light suction. As you change the fan speed selector 0-5 you can hear the change in speed with each selection, but the force of the air coming from the vents does not change no matter if it ac or heat or on recirc. Have been reading on the forums for the past few days gathering information about this issue but most of what i have read states that one side is blowing cold the other hot, or that it blows cold for a bit then warmer. Mine isnt doing either. When you select ac you can feel that the little bit of air coming from the vents is in fact cold and when on heat it is in fact hot. Just trying to figure out why no matter what i select face, floor, defrost, face/floor mix its the same flow speed of air no matter the speed selected on each option. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

check the cabin air filter but it sounds like one of the doors is not opening (the way the AC system works is there are small motors (I think 5 in total) that actuate doors to control the airflow. If the motors go bad you should get a fault code (ie blinking AC light?) but the rod from the motor to the door may be off. Could also be the switch/front panel not sending a signal (had that happen on our Highlander).

As usual, also check fuses/relays and perhaps get a scan for any codes from the AC computer.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:05 PM

DO not have any flashing ac or recirc lights. also eben at highway speed with the recirc off i still barely get any flow. so it def could be one of the doors not opening, but like i said no matter what selection (face, feet defrost, etc) same amount of flow coming from floor vents and also face vents at same time. are the small motors behind the dash, and how easy to access them as i do not have a repair manual?

Old 12-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Pull the glove box out and look at the vacuum lines behind there.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:18 PM

i just noticed on the way to work tonight that the a/c light came on when i started the engine and then went of.. did not flash multiple times just came on and then of and stayed off. would that be normal or is that letting me know there is a code stored in the memory?