Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

Problem with car auto locking...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Question Problem with car auto locking...

Ok, since I've had my 960, I've had a problem with it locking me out. It only got me a couple of times but here is how it has gone.

HOW IT'S SUPPOSE TO WORK: When you unlock the car with the remote, it will lock itself back if you do not open a door within 30 seconds (or a minute). If you open a door it will cancel the relock.

WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON: Well, mine has been locking itself back 90% of the time. But, if I unlock the car and open another door other than the drivers door, it stays unlocked. Also, I can unlock the car, get in, sit for a little while, and bamb, it locks back with me in the car. If I don't remember that it auto-locked and try to start the car, it will sound the alarm, which is a little embarasing. I took my car to get the tires rotated. Needed something out of it so I took the remote off the key ring. The mechanic somehow managed to lock the key in the car. So I guess it will do it with the key as well. He must have unlocked the car, tossed the key in it, and it auto-locked. Good thing I had pulled the remote off the key ring.

So, that make me think extra hard and this is what I've come up with. Sometimes my DOOR OPEN lights do not come on. when they DO NOT come on, the car auto-locks. When the lights do come on it does NOT auto-lock. So I figured the door plunger switch was bad. So I swapped it with another door and I have the same problem. Doesn't work all the time. I started to pull the switch out and as soon as I started taking the screw out, the lights came on. It seems that I have some kind of ground problem there.

Not sure if there is a problem at the frame or if it's the screw or what the deal is. Does anyone have a suggest as to what will be the best way to make sure that switch is grounded properly so that it works every time?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 850

I don't think my issue is related but, when I lived in MN and it was very cold the car would lock if I slammed the tailgate. I never have found the issue so now I always have a window open if the keys are in the car when I close the tailgate...

Old 04-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok, I think I figured out my problem. I decided to take the screw out of the back door switch to install it in the front door switch, thinking maybe the door switch screw had been replaced with a different material and maybe the new one was not making a good ground contact. So, I pulled the screw out of the front switch, went to the back switch and just as I was about to pull the screw I noticed that the screw head was inside the rubber that was part of the switch (the front door switch had the screw on top-outside of the rubber). So, I pulled the screw and the rubber switch cover loose, then installed the screws under the rubber on both switches. So far the front door light is now working properly. I'll post back if the car starts locking itself back again.

Last edited by rspi; 04-02-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: addition/clearify