Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

S90 SRS Lamp Illuminated

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S90 SRS Lamp Illuminated

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 1998 S90 (30k miles) that the (elderly) owner had apparrently run over a paking lot curb and struck something with the RH bumper. Service receipts indicate replacement of items under the motor such as oil cooler lines etc. The car is in great condition, and I've verified the presence of intact air bags on passenger and driver sides.

My question is... can someone point me in the direction of the impact sensor locations on this car? I've been under it at the front and have not identified any.

Before I take it to a Swedish specialty shop or worse, dealership, I'd like to do the dilligence in assuring all sensors are intact and connected. Am accomplished mechanic on US vehicles and more. IF only I had a factory manual. (would pay for one or scanned pages from same).

Thank in advance for any insight one could provide.

Mike

Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The are no crash sensors up-front. The SRS module is also a crash/deceleration sensor. It is located under the driver's seat.

It's possible that the airbags deployed, and previous owner replaced them, but has not been at the dealer/specialized shop to erase the SRS DTC. By the way you can download FSM at my Google Documents.

Reading SRS codes would tell you more...

Last edited by Henry10; 10-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Thumbs up

Henry10,

Thank you so much for the FSM and related documents, they are exhaustive in detail. I'm assuming the 960 diagnostic process carried over to the S90, and would appreciate your verification of assumption prior to my moving forward with addressing any/all codes that may be present.

May I pay you, or make a donation to your favorite charity for providing this information?

Sincerly,
Mike

Old 08-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Thumbs down

Well Shoot!

I went on a search for the SRS OBD unit that according to the 9xx FSM was to be in the engine compartment on the LH side. Now my vision is not perfect by any means, but I'll be darned if can find any component/module that even remotely resembles the diagram in the documentation.

Will procede with removing driver seat to see if they moved it next to the control module while waiting on a response that will hopefully put me on target.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Old 08-19-2011, 06:37 PM

From 1996 Volvo deleted the OBD Reading Module in the Engine Compartment. You will only be able to read SRS codes via the OBD2 port, next to the Parking Brake Lever / console, covered, but noted OBDII.

I recommend the first thing to do is to read the SRS codes. Only the dealer or specialized shops can do this. You can also build a DIY reader (instructions are there too). I have not done it myself yet, but other people have been able to do it.

I did have a slow speed crash myself about 9 months ago on my 850, which has the same SRS system as the V90. Airbags are easy to replace, but other things need to be replaced as well (such as the clockspring, Module and both front seat-belts).

If you looked at all components, you would still not be able to see if there was a crash indeed, replaced or not, except airbags of course.

That is why reading the codes should be the first thing.

No need to pay anyone, just share your experiences with us.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Henry,
Thanks again for the reply.

I'll continue to review the documentation you provided, assuming the DYI plans for the scan tool are embedded there somewhere?

Many thanks for continued support!

m

Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 PM

This is the part list with Radio Shack Part Nubers: Resistor 680 Ohm, LED: 276-270 or 276-209, Momentary Switch: 275-1556 or 275-1565, Banana Plugs (Male Blade): 274-721

This is the schematic https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6p...mNWM1&hl=en_US

This is the procedure for pulling codes https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6p...lYjk4&hl=en_US

I think for SRS you will need to connect the signal wire to the SRS OBD signal at the connection under the console. look at the wiring diagram https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...4Mjkz&hl=en_US

I hope you can figure this out...

You can also check these threads ...

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...canners-50352/

Engine 850: B5234T/2.3/20v/T5: - home made code reader - Volvo Owners Club Forum

Information: - Diagnostic Article By Chris Rogers - Volvo Owners Club Forum

Old 09-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Great Information Henry10, many thanks. Have had to back burner this to make the mortgage payment, hope to find some time over the long weekend to ratchet up on it again.
Cheers!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 PM

I actually went ahead and did this OBDII DIY tool myself and tried on my car. I had an ABS light, which I knew what it was -- front left sensor wiring got ripped by my 17" wheels. It was repaired by previous owner (maybe for wider rims too?), but not very good.

See this Document for Part-List of how to build this DIY tool, how to read and erase codes. This Book has a listing of all 3-digit codes.

Since I don't have any Engine ECU codes, I can't try it on pin 7.

Last edited by Henry10; 09-27-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Default Unintended airbag deployment!?!?!?

Its bad when an airbag fails to deploy when it is needed, but how about one that deploys in your face for no reason?

I had the drivers front airbag deploy while backing out of a parking space, perhaps going 2 mph, not even on the gas; just covering the brake as I idled out in reverse. WHAM!! Airbag deployed, scared the you-know-what out of me and actually fractured my arm that was on the wheel. The problem was eventually traced to (probably) some corroded wires in the console, under the cup holder. Volvo has since redesigned the area with a liner to prevent spills and drips from beverages seeping through.

Has anyone else had or heard of this? reply to heyblair@comcast.net

Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Henry appears to be the "authoritative" voice on the subject here... Unfortunately I've not been able to find time to procede with my issue due to outstanding commitments. Do hope to continue to diagnose.
I too am scared sh!tless of deployment, not only from the danger aspect, but also the cost factor of replacement. Which brings me to my question to you... Have you found replacement for yours, if so, please share the cost and supplier information.
Thanks in advance.
m

Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 AM

I ain't no authority. I have gotten a lot of help from people, so it's time for me to pay some "dues".

Like I said -- the first thing is to read the SRS codes. Nothing will deploy by doing this. There are safeguards in place. Some dealers even do it for free or maybe $ 50.

Regarding parts -- I bought all SRS parts from a donor car, which was totaled due to engine failure. I paid a total of $ 150 for both airbags, both seatbelts, Module, Clockspring. Fairly simple to replace. But you ain't there yet.

Volvo used to recommend replacing them every 10 years, but withdrew that requirement. SRS parts are now lifetime.

Vendor was a Recycled Shop (Junkyard) in Colchester, CT (forgot the name).

Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 AM
Default Fixed!!!

Just wanted to update with resolution. I was too fearfull to attempt doing this as Henry suggested, as all I could envision was the bag(s) deploying and then would really be out a ton of $$$.

After much thought I took it to our local Volvo service and had them read the code which turned out to be caused from several low voltage events, which made sense due to the previous owner's attempting to maintain a dead battery for several months.

Dealer reset the module, all is well now. Surprisingly the fee was only $60.

Thanks again Henry for all of your great information.