Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Buying a V70, input please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying a V70, input please!

ORIGINAL: Buckley

Hi. Michael from Kansas City here and I'm looking for a non-minivan (wife's request) to replace my problematic 160K '98 Honda Odyssey. I'm on a budget of around 10-12K. After reading through this forum for reliability & recommendations, I think I've found an older V70 that's been (very) well-maintained, with records, an actual grannymobile being sold by her son:

Grannymobile

Listing does not say, but I've chatted with the son and it has 67K. I'm not a car-person, but I do change oil and I don't ignore noises. I can afford to have the car maintained by my mechanic who works on Volvos (who said "just no AWDs!"). My wife for some reason loves this older style, and wants some of that budget mentioned above for a house-remodelling project. Did I mention she's cheap? Which I am NOT complaining about, but I just want a reasonable probability that she won't get stranded on the road with three kids. I'm willing to fork over the whole pile for a newer V70. Any advice?

Let's just say for $10-12k, I can find 2 very nice S/V70's. I am also biased to the pre 99, pre Ford, pre drive by wire, whatever you want to call it, as I have a 98v70. But over the few years of owning this car I realized what a hidden gem I have. It's very easy to work on in terms of things that don't need a mechanic for. All you need a little skill and common sense.

As far as repairs, all cars need repairs. Some say Volvo's cost more to repair but I don't think so. And if indeed Volvo's do cost more, you're paying for Volvo parts and putting them into a Volvo. You'll get your moneys worth. Know what to maintain and repair andany carwill last as long as you want. Oh and AWD, I don't need it. But if you do, you pay for the luxury like we all do.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Default RE: Buying a V70, input please!

hello, this is the wife of Michael from Kansas City. am unsure about starting a new thread, as we are still searching for a v70...please redirect if necessary, or instruct me to.

anyway, the aforementioned '98 did not work out - let's just say the interior was far worse than my '98 Odyssey and i have 3 kids under 9 and enjoy fast food so we are moving on...

call me crazy but I do love a manual tran., and have located a 2001 with lowish miles and full maintenance records. i would like to avoid a 2001 automatic (much googling/reading has led to this decision, please don't hate me if you own one and it is wonderfully reliable), but the manual intrigues, for the better mileage and the fact I rarely have to deal with bumper-to-bumper. I would prefer to drive a car forever (heck, I would have done so with the honda, had it proved as reliable as per typical japanese cars, but i digress) and have no resale worries, but what about parts? will my volvo-familiar mechanic (he has all software, etc.) have more trouble locating them and/or finding info. on repairs for a manual, as they are no longer made? am I nuts to consider a discontinued car?

if anyone has experience with this issue, I'd greatly appreciate your input, and thanks in advance!

Estea from KC

Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Default AWD the good ,bad and the dealer price

A work friend of mine has been driving a lowerd 98 V70R awd for 8yrs , he's coverd about 75k and has only replaced the outer cv, joints on the front and a steering rack , and it regularly gets driven hard . on the other hand my 99 xc with the same miles and has towed caravans for most of its life , and its wrecked. i dont know if it's a good or bad thing but i have a local volvo "estate only" scrap yard with possibly 250 cars in stock , he doesnt have any AWD cars in and rarely gets them. i had a prop/driveshaft (gearbox to diff) converted from stock volvo parts , to gkn (land/rangerover) replacing 3 universal joints and the hanger bearing . it wasn,t cheep but it can be done. the cv joints on the drive shafts to the wheels can be sourced for about £100 each and involve circlip pliers ,a drift ,copper mallet and a vice. i think the awd is excellent (when working) and makes a noticeable improvement to whats a heavy handling car , on the V70R AWD with sports attributes its on par with the audi quattro system without any doubt.
hope this helps in any way(sorry bout spellings)
cheers
Daren1

Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Buckley
hello, this is the wife of Michael from Kansas City. am unsure about starting a new thread, as we are still searching for a v70...please redirect if necessary, or instruct me to.

anyway, the aforementioned '98 did not work out - let's just say the interior was far worse than my '98 Odyssey and i have 3 kids under 9 and enjoy fast food so we are moving on...

call me crazy but I do love a manual tran., and have located a 2001 with lowish miles and full maintenance records. i would like to avoid a 2001 automatic (much googling/reading has led to this decision, please don't hate me if you own one and it is wonderfully reliable), but the manual intrigues, for the better mileage and the fact I rarely have to deal with bumper-to-bumper. I would prefer to drive a car forever (heck, I would have done so with the honda, had it proved as reliable as per typical japanese cars, but i digress) and have no resale worries, but what about parts? will my volvo-familiar mechanic (he has all software, etc.) have more trouble locating them and/or finding info. on repairs for a manual, as they are no longer made? am I nuts to consider a discontinued car?

if anyone has experience with this issue, I'd greatly appreciate your input, and thanks in advance!

Estea from KC
My '01 is a manual. Nothing but a joy to drive, and the clutch is silky smooth.