Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

ETM talk again...weeeeee

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETM talk again...weeeeee

Hey guys, I've been pouring over ETM threads and posts for quite some time now. I had all the symptoms of the known ETM issues on my ‘01 V70 X/C. So I went ahead and pulled it and cleaned the buildup out so it’s now spotless. I put it all back together and everything seemed peachy for the first 25mi or so, but now as the computer is relearning and resetting the ETM and it’s communications with it (I presume), the surging is indeed coming back though admittedly not nearly as severe yet. I was already a little disheartened when performing the procedure to see that my ETM sticker is still white, not the yellow that I was hoping for. I presume this means that the ETM was not reprogrammed by the ‘155’ recall from Volvo by the previous owner. Please someone correct me if that thought is incorrect. So what’s my next step? Can my local Volvo dealer tell me if the ‘155’ update was done? The previous owner had all her work done at the premier local independent Volvo shop in town (fantastic reputation): could they have done the update or is it a dealer-only service? If there is no record of this service anywhere, can I pay to have it done (sadly past the 10yr warranty extension). I have also heard mention of the condition that the battery cables, if experiencing more than a 0.1v drop, can cause issues to the ETM. Is there any validity to that being the case? If so, so how and where do I test for out-of-spec voltage drop? Lots of questions; I’m just trying to figure out what my next step is…
Thanks guys

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, but unless you got a brand spanking new ETM, you won't get it to accept new programming.

If the original ETM loss communication, look at the positive battery cable. With ignition on (key position 2) , see if the cable, approx. 2 inches from the terminal gets anywhere close to warm-hot. If so, re do the terminal. loss of voltage from that terminal results in a lot of communication problems.

I work for an independent shop and we can do EVERYTHING a dealer can computer wise. Run into this problem quite often. Usually on S80s.

before you do anything computer wise, make sure all vacuum hoses are connected and have no leaks. Make sure the throttle body is clean, clean by hand. Make sure the coolant temperature sensor isn't screwing with the ETM (assuming the car will actually start and run. usually when loss of communication is present the engine will not run.)

Do hard battery reset if you haven't already.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemiatadude
Hey guys, I've been pouring over ETM threads and posts for quite some time now. I had all the symptoms of the known ETM issues on my ‘01 V70 X/C.
Have you seen this one?
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...allenge-56952/

Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 AM

Indeed I have gdog. That is definitely the way I'm going to go WHEN I need to replace the unit. I really like what I see and hear about the XeMODeX product.

UPDATE: As of now I'm kinda biding my time. I have the dough to replace the ETM but I took it to my independent shop and they hooked VIDA up and there are no ETM/ETS codes. In fact, there are no codes stored at all. The car is certainly exhibiting the symptoms of the typical ETM failure but the shop owner (who knows infinitely more than I about Volvos) says that it could possibly be a coil, or something else entirely. So at this point, I'm kinda waiting for things to get worse and hopefully a code will appear that'll shed some light on the true cause of the issue. It’s so hard to hold back and drive something that is obviously not behaving correctly, but I’m restraining myself and trying to be smart about the whole situation. My gut instinct is that the issue is indeed the ETM but it's a lot of dough to drop on speculation.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM

What symptoms are you experiencing? I get subtle drops when cruising at highway speeds. It feels like minor hesitation, very brief. Additionally I noticed the other day when accelerating moderately from 70mph to 80mph the turbo boost would cut after first 5 seconds or so. Is this also a sign of ETM failure?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Default V70 2.4T problem

I have a 2.4T v70 W-reg.... Lovely car well maintained.... Problem started 1.5 yrs ago with running rough on tick over/idle every now and again, when this happened only thing to get it running smooth again was to disconnect battery & re-connect, then would tick over fine.... Got more regular, then began to go into 'performance reduced' mode.. To correct this either re-started or took battery terminals off as usual.....! Then started going into slow mode, where just a short journey turned into a nightmare...... Cant take the chance on taking out now and been off the road a while,.... Have replaced the ETM & MAF and checked for vaccum leaks.. Mad thing is car can run for an hour smooth no probs, then another time runs erratic sometimes smokey, sometimes misfires, sometimes stalls and when I've checked fault codes they are not always the same ones that come up...!!!! Live along way from Volvo dealer and afraid of getting it to them for fear of huge bill ( only w-reg..!) ... What are your thoughts...

Last edited by Bill45; 11-28-2012 at 10:59 AM.